Dust collector motor

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So Fred duped me... and got rid of junk cluttering his space!
Not really,
I CHOSE to buy his old non-working 1 1/2 HP dust collector. (Model 50-760)
We hoped it was just the run capacitor, but I took it into a motor repair shop and got a diagnosis for $20...
The result was he told me the start switch was bad and one of the capacitors... he wanted another $98 to repair it!

Here is a link to the e-replacements site: Delta Air Collector Dust Management | 50-760 | eReplacementParts.com
Where the Motor was sold as a unit for (are you ready for it?) $792.92 :eek: :eek: :eek: but fortunately there are none available this part has been discontinued! (Good idea)

I did try to search on the Delta part numbers but came up short there too: Renovo Parts - Search Results for "A04512"

So, my question(s) to the smarter than me about electric motors is:
1. Will any start switch rated for a 115V 1 1/2 HP motor work with this Delta motor?
2. Will any run capacitor work with this Delta motor?

Pictures of the motor plate, run capacitor and start capacitor

I
IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5798.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
You can probably fix this yourself. No rocket science involved.

A centrifugal start switch can usually be accessed by removing the end bell where the wires go in.

If the contacts are burned, fine sandpaper will often fix that. Make sure the governor collar can slide freely on the shaft. Those two items are the most common by far.

Take the capacitor to an electric motor or air conditioning supply house and show it to the counter guy. Either he has one or knows who does.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can probably fix this yourself. No rocket science involved.

A centrifugal start switch can usually be accessed by removing the end bell where the wires go in.

If the contacts are burned, fine sandpaper will often fix that. Make sure the governor collar can slide freely on the shaft. Those two items are the most common by far.

Take the capacitor to an electric motor or air conditioning supply house and show it to the counter guy. Either he has one or knows who does.
Thanks that is my plan, but "The guy" said the switch needs to be replaced.... (up charge rather than repair?)
As for the cap - he said $47!!! I think that is a little out of line, but I don't want to run off and buy the wrong part only to spend more to get the right one...

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I had a similar problem with a Delta 50-850 motor. Got a capacitor from Amazon after having a hard time getting the exact replacement (during lockdown last year when most places were closed). Search ASIN B07WDYCT74 ~$13 - long delivery time but I wasn't in a hurry. The previous owner put on a different capacitor and it didn't work (wrong voltage) so putting the right one on did the trick.

Another thing - after I put it all back together, it would intermittently trip the breaker on start so I taped off the terminals on the start capacitor since it seemed to be arcing. Works every time now.

No problems with my centrifugal switch though - there's a couple good YouTube videos that explain how it works and how to try to fix it yourself - start with the Jeremy Fielding one.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Search "potential relays" for replacement of start switch. If you can't find a capacitor that will fit into box, remotely mount one. I did that on my Delta AP-400, which puked a cap. Johnstone Supply is my go to for capacitors. You might want to increase voltage rating, as 125V is borderline at best.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I had to replace the capacitor on my HF motor and I simply matched the numbers on the cap to one on amazon and it has worked great ever since. You might want to try fastenal, i've bought them for my HVAC unit from them before and they are typically less than $10

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The caps have their value printed on them. You can search for start and run caps by those values. Be sure they are listed as start and run caps for a motor. Caps have many many properties depending on use.

But try to fix the switch first.

Motors are pretty generic. Delta did not make it. Look at the parts from all the other tool manufactures and I bet you can find the same switch.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Search "potential relays" for replacement of start switch. If you can't find a capacitor that will fit into box, remotely mount one. I did that on my Delta AP-400, which puked a cap. Johnstone Supply is my go to for capacitors. You might want to increase voltage rating, as 125V is borderline at best.
I "Think" this (below) is what is bad

Attachments

• 1616069883275.png
    1616069883275.png
    528.9 KB · Views: 159

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If it is not physically broken, you can burnish the contacts ( 800 grit ) but they won't last forever. Be sure the bob-weight assembly that presses on the contacts is good. Sometimes the spring of the leavers gets a bit fatigued so they don't have the proper gap. Careful bending can fix it.
But I am sure, if you look at exploded parts diagrams for other brands, you can find one.

I have bought a lot of parts from ereplacementparts.com

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Centrifugal switches on consumer grade Asian machines can vary greatly, even within the same brand and model number. Having the old one in hand when searching is a good idea.
The below shots are of what few of that type of motor I've agreed to work on and I suspect that these variations are only the tip of the iceburg.

I suspect the right centrifugal switch is available. It will be a matter of identification and verification. I will say that the Asian motors are pretty consistent when compared to the various USA-made motors that have been made over the last century.

1   TPOS cent swtch - 1.jpg1   TPOS cent swtch - 2.jpg1   TPOS cent swtch - 3.jpg1   TPOS cent swtch - 4.jpg1   TPOS cent swtch - 5.jpg1   TPOS cent swtch - 6.jpg

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Centrifugal switches on consumer grade Asian machines can vary greatly, even within the same brand and model number. Having the old one in hand when searching is a good idea.
The below shots are of what few of that type of motor I've agreed to work on and I suspect that these variations are only the tip of the iceburg.

I suspect the right centrifugal switch is available. It will be a matter of identification and verification. I will say that the Asian motors are pretty consistent when compared to the various USA-made motors that have been made over the last century.

View attachment 200450View attachment 200451View attachment 200452View attachment 200453View attachment 200454View attachment 200455
Thanks Bob, that is the kind of information that I was looking for from the NCWW hive mind!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, I have a 1,5 Hp TEFC motor from a grizzly shaper that may work in place of this one.... Come and haul it off and its yours.
AWESOME!
Does it have the female thread in the end for mounting the DC Fan?
Not sure when my next visit to NC, let me know if you have a timeline that you need to unload it?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Id have to go dig it out... I think it may be threaded. Worst case, you could probably scavenge the capacitors
Thanks,but don't worry about it yet, I will give you a "heads-up" with some time before I am heading your way!
BUT a HUGE thanks for letting me know!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Hank, I has a 7/8" diameter x 1-5/8 long shaft. The end of the shaft does have a tapped hole in it.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 179

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, I has a 7/8" diameter x 1-5/8 long shaft. The end of the shaft does have a tapped hole in it.
WOW - that look like it might just be a fit (I was going to say easy fit, but didn't want to jinx it!)
(BTW WTH is a Youba?! LOL)
It make me think of Joe Peschi in My Cousin Vinny - you heard what he said, but the word actually means something else!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I briefly looked at it and there is a flange on the Delta motor and I didn't pull the "Fan" to see what the shaft size is...
I need to pull it all apart to look at the switch and the start cap, IIRC I was there when he tested the run cap (which is what we though was bad...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS