Replace subfloor bid

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just got a quote on the remodel to remove and replace 180 sq,ft, of subfloor - $2,000. Got a little sticker shock with that.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
With no waste, that's 6 sheets of 23/32 OSB, so maybe 8 total. I'm seeing big box price at $46/sheet, plus fasteners and glue, maybe $400 for materials? Demo is probably also $400 just to rip out and truck to dump plus waste fees. With a 2x markup is $1,600?

I don't know about Trenton SC, but here in the NC Triangle you can't find anybody insured to touch a project <$5k. I'm interested to see how C-19 shakes out the economy, because it could mean continued increase of prices or a "correction."

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Too much.

1. Plywood assume 45 / sheet. Worst case scenario 7 sheets =315.00

2. Pick up and delivery = 2 hours labor plus 9.00/ hr for vehicle use

3. 2" #8 cad or coated screws, 650-700qty for 5 lbs/box (3 lbs needed) assume 35.00 for this.

4. 3 hours demo @ assume 85.00/hr = 255.00

5. Install assume 3 hours @ 85.00/hr = 255.00

6. 2 hours clean up 2 hours @ 85.00 =170.00

7. Offhaul assume 2 hours + dump cost assume. 25.00 (min charge

So 4 hours of vehicle @ 9/hr = 36.00 +
4 hours per and post work = 340.00 +
6 hours carpentry = 510.00 +
Material (screws/ply) = 350.00
Dump cost = 25.00

TOTAL 1261.00 +Profit (25%) 315.00+1261.00 = 1576.00

So, I would charge 1600.00 for this and I estimated this with my worst crew doing the work....... the 2 drunks and a ladder crew..... :rolleyes: :D

Realistic to me would be 1200-1500.00 if I was doing this with my company, if it was a side job probably 1000-1200 bucks. I'm old and I could do this all this in less than a day....... go figure.
I assumed the room is empty and ready to do and you do not live in a home with silk rugs...........;)

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Realistic to me would be 1200-1500.00 if I was doing this with my company, if it was a side job probably 1000-1200 bucks. I'm old and I could do this all this in less than a day....... go figure.

You did forget the "Small Job" upcharge of 25% :)
But also, 25% profit is miniscule, I don't know any contractors I work with that's goal is 25% profit. Taxes and insurance eat up that 25% real quick.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
TOTAL 1261.00 +Profit (25%) 315.00+1261.00 = 1576.00

Interesting that you and I were within $24 of each other figuring it different ways. But regional economic environment has a big impact on tiny jobs. (For larger projects, contractors will come from farther away.) Low and high bidders can be 50% apart depending on who is busy and who really wants the project.

Similar economic forces are at play with tools. Audience-challenged goods (yard sales) have a smaller market to sell to. Larger markets (online, metro areas) don't need to price as low to find at least one buyer. That's what I figured out about handsaws from @Chris C , you have drive around, dig deep, and find sellers trying to unload.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
With no waste, that's 6 sheets of 23/32 OSB, so maybe 8 total. I'm seeing big box price at $46/sheet, plus fasteners and glue, maybe $400 for materials? Demo is probably also $400 just to rip out and truck to dump plus waste fees. With a 2x markup is $1,600?

I don't know about Trenton SC, but here in the NC Triangle you can't find anybody insured to touch a project <$5k. I'm interested to see how C-19 shakes out the economy, because it could mean continued increase of prices or a "correction."

I'm in the Triangle and agree 100% with this statement. I'll add that not only is the prices higher than I would like, the lead time is just as bad. Took me weeks to get drainage contractors to even look at my yard. Once I hired one, the earliest they can do it is July. I'm guess I should be glad they are making money and fortunate I can still afford the work...

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
...the lead time is just as bad.

Indeed, I'm seeing months delays for asphalt and metal roofing, and aluminum and glass storefront/curtain wall. Outdoor construction wasn't slowed much (concrete, masonry, framing, cladding), but factories and manufacturing were. I just can't figure out how quickly they'll catch up... weeks, months, or years?!

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Indeed, I'm seeing months delays for asphalt and metal roofing, and aluminum and glass storefront/curtain wall. Outdoor construction wasn't slowed much (concrete, masonry, framing, cladding), but factories and manufacturing were. I just can't figure out how quickly they'll catch up... weeks, months, or years?!

What I had trouble wrapping my head around was just getting someone out for a quote. I feel like some of these small to mid sized companies were losing out on a lot of potential sales since they had no sales reps available. I can only guess its better to have a 1 or 2 good reps vs 4 or average to bad ones....

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Oka, the whole house is empty, FWIW.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
The backstory, this all started with a door leak that ate a hole in the subfloor. Little structural damage and all 3 have said the door sill is still good. Anyway, the floor was covered with ceramic tile and Kerdi. It was a pain to pull up the Kerdi and it left a mess of mortar bed. The whole was revealed with the Kerdi/tile came up. The subfloor of this 180 sq. ft. section is in the MBR and is contiguous with a larger floor section. There is a 1/8" thickness difference in the subfloor levels - the damaged/tile section being lower. I'm installing hardwood flooring, need the whole fixed, the floor leveled, and the mortar bed residue gone

I've called several 'handyman' services. Three have visited. One told me I had the skills to do this myself. I don't think he wanted be be bothered with this small job (just the door repair). Another person came out and said $600 to fix the door and hole. He responds to calls after some urging but never makes his commitments (a part timer). The last is young, affable, on time and responsive. Talked to him this afternoon and he said his bid was high anticipating any issues with the D&R. He likes to surprise customers with lower bills and not additional charges.

Thanks everyone for your inputs (and the informative side tracks).

FWIW, the joists in the to-be-repaired section run-in the wrong direction for the hardwood flooring. I've got to install blocking. Learned today that a SYP 2X10X8 is $2 cheaper per board than a 2X8X10.

The fun continues

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS