Preferred miter slot router bit?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Is there a favorite bit for cutting both miter T-slot and bolt T-slots? Is it normally done with one pass after the dado is cut? Or once down each side?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The bits I have used worked best if I removed the center part with a dado blade, or straight router bit. Then the T slot bit only has to remove the side cuts. There isn't much "meat" where the T cutter meets the shank cutter. Easy to break. DAMHIK, but I do. Couple nights ago was watching a you tube where presenter laminated up T track. Took one piece, and routed grove for T bolt, and then glued second on. After glue had set, used dado blade to open slot for bolt.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I was actually looking for specific brand/size bit that people like. 1/2 inch shank should be fine.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
MLSC is the ones I have used. No matter what size shank, they all neck down to about 1/4" at cutter. That's why they break so easily.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
(Just wished I had found a bearing guided 1/4" shaft with a bearing so I could have used trim router ie Colt.)
Wayne
Wayne, if you're looking for one, Klingspor's has a top bearing bit in 1/4" shank (EDIT that is a flush trim bit with a bearing END EDIT). as that's what I bought and used (as seen in the pics in my earlier "Exact Width Dado jig" post; I can provide whatever info from the package if you need it). THey may also have a bottom bearing bit too, as that's more common I think, but I was not looking for that so I can't comment. Others vendors likely also carry such things.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Ordered a cheap set from Amazon. Should get the immediate jobs done. One for 1/4 bolts, one a little larger.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Got the bits. Got a bag of "1/4 inch T -head bolts to fit T-Track" Both bits are too shallow and barely wide enough. Bolts are too wide for T-Track. The larger 3/8 will do for the T-bolts to at least get my fence in place.

I think some here are mistaken. I am looking for specific bits, not how to or fancy ideas. The above LeeValley bit looks like it would work for a 3/4 guide slot, but not for T-track hardware. I guess I have to drive to Releigh to a store to look and fit myself. I am sure there is a bit that fits standard T-track correctly as I gather there is a slot size for T head bolts.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS