Some of you may know the long story behind the "Chest of many drawers"

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Would you like to start a new co-operative art project?
These things usually take a year to run out and we can raise money for NCWW, a charity, donate the art, or draw a name from the participants.

I am thinking about a crazy chest theme.

Each person makes a part that fits together with the others to form a chest of drawers.

I like the Disney animated movie characters from beauty and the beast.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think this is a good idea, but I would like to find a buyer first or donation support (like a cancer run where someone donates by the mile or in this case by the drawer)

I would think thee would be opportunity for a senator, governor or other official to "purchase" (commission) a piece either for him or herself or for donation to a Museum / public facility?

Problem is, I do not have those kinds of connections, especially in North Carolina...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Falcon Children's home comes to mind.
We used to support them a little more I think and they do teach woodworking.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Sounds like fun. I may be in depending on what and when. I also participated in the first one so most likely can get involved with this one.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
another suggestion - depending upon the "market / receiver" of this project... maybe a Huntboard / sideboard to make it more functional for the user / display...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
some rough ideas, not to copy. Just for reference.

crazychests.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, but one person would have to build a carcass like Bill built the carcass for the 24 drawer chest.
I'm trying to get away from one person doing so much of the work.

My examples are not good but best I could find.

The concept is to build small pieces that stack or attach to make a larger form.
Hopefully with curves and angles that add interest and amusement.

If the parts could be rearranged or used separately that would add to the excitement.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, but one person would have to build a carcass like Bill built the carcass for the 24 drawer chest.
I'm trying to get away from one person doing so much of the work.

My examples are not good but best I could find.

The concept is to build small pieces that stack or attach to make a larger form.
Hopefully with curves and angles that add interest and amusement.

If the parts could be rearranged or used separately that would add to the excitement.
I get that, but again, I think we need to keep in mind the end "user / purchaser" would he or she "use" it or display it???

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will help.

Some thoughts from the first build.
The last chest of many drawers was/is great but was very heavy and a bear to move around during our marketing attempt - Let's just find an organization that could use it and donate to them.

I believe it was helpful to have all drawer fronts the same size. Tim Sherwood created all of the drawer boxes and then mounted the member created drawer fronts and adjusted to fit in the casework made by Bill Clemmons - Good work by all.

I will step up and offer to build the case work

For those that do not remember what the last Chest of Many Drawers looked like here is a photo from its current owner - me

IMG_5624.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, I woke up thinking about this and I really like your idea of member made pieces that join to form a larger and in different configurations.
I will post some sketches later

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
what a terrific memory! The drawer front I made for the chest is still one of my best Pyrography pieces! Of course ranking right under the ones I've done for Dirk ;););) I'm super proud to have a piece displayed on the chest. I'd be happy to do it again!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS