Cabinet question

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello all,

My son just bought a 1965 brick ranch with great bones and I am in the midst of doing some renovations. They would like to remove the center post from the cabinets in order to accommodate wider dishes and I need to know if that will cause issues. (Photo attached)

The cabinets are original all wood construction and are nailed together rather than dadooed or screwed.

Please advise at your earliest convenience and thank you all for your expertise.

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 168

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
In that cabinet, probably not, How is it fastened in? Are the shelves supported by this piece? If it is, the shelves might sag a bit later. If pocket holes from behind it may be as easy as using a #2 square tip screwdriver. In all likely hood, it is also glued top and bottom and may have nails, depending on it's age and whether or not it was custom built or manufactured, so you may have some issues cleaning up the areas where it was attached. Bondo and paint come to mind. If it doesn't come out easily, ie pocket screws, I would remove the post, but leave a short piece top and bottom to work on separately. Then careful removal of these two ends via whatever means necessary, probably using a chisel to split them and then remove small pieces at a time.

Charley

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I agree with all these comments. I like my Fein but I now reach for my Milwaukee 12V more since power is similar and the 12V is handier. I would use a carbide blade, however. It will go through nails faster and with less damage to the blade. But the blades are expensive.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to all. I update with a photo after finished.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS