Old Walnut Desk

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I know where I can get a few of these desk at a very reasonable price. BUT they need refinishing, some may not be worth refinishing but the drawer sides are solid wood or could be used as parts. Top is not solid nor the sides. Is it worth (in your opinion)? This is what a refinished one looks like. One like this sells for about $1000.00. Wonder what an unfinished one would be worth? I know it depends on the condition, but lets say worst case scenario.
e.
Executive_desk_UCLA_walnut_and_rosewood_8_l.jpg

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Are you asking from the standpoint of buying for a very reasonable price or with the intention to flip?

My old office desk was similar but made from cherry and, while it was not perfect, it did not need refinishing (it came from a bank). It was less than $150 from memory. More recently I bought another cherry desk of similar size for $60 (again, no refinishing).

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Refinishing if they are worth spending the time and money on, or salvaging the wood. Flip? no probably not, what I was tossing around was if I could get them for a very good price would it be worth stripping the solid wood out of them. More I think about it, may not be worth it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Refinishing if they are worth spending the time and money on, or salvaging the wood. Flip? no probably not, what I was tossing around was if I could get them for a very good price would it be worth stripping the solid wood out of them. More I think about it, may not be worth it.
Salvaging wood from an existing piece? I had considered that a time or two - and for commercially made furniture I doubt it would be worth it. I MIGHT consider, if I was bored, and it IF IT WAS FREE, but I would not put $$ in. 'New' wood is not thaaat expensive, unless your time counts for $0. As a challenge it can be fun, but not worth it for the wood, in my estimation.

Note that I have made three pieces of furniture pre-dominantly (2 entirely) from "Phil's reclaimed mahogany"; there I had a lot more materials to pick and choose from to get the pieces I needed. So I do work with reclaimed wood, but that material was free for pick up (and worth every cent!).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS