A nice article on NCWW members - "Bobbin Boy to the Rescue!"

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Fantastic. My wife and sister are both spinners. I have a spinning wheel on my list of things to try and make one day.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Alan and Melissa are great people - they have held classes on chess piece turning/crafting and are sometimes active on here. It's good to see they are still going strong!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Alan and Melissa are great people - they have held classes on chess piece turning/crafting and are sometimes active on here. It's good to see they are still going strong!
I think there was a shift when Melissa got more into spinning, auto-knitting etc. I think Alan also shifted to turning parts for wheels, guessing he still does some high-end chess pieces by request, but not sure. One time when I visited he had a piece of boxwood he ordered for chess pieces. It was probably 4 inches (maybe larger) in diameter! (I wasn't comfortable asking how much that cost!)

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'm happy to learn that neither Alan or Melissa have lost their zeal for woodturning. I remember them well from the days when they loved to demonstrate how to be a woodturner on a dime. Both were turning on a Harbor Freight mini-lathe and using turning tools home crafted from ordinary things such as screwdrivers, old files, and other steel items. During that era, they turned chess pieces, Alan's deep love. I miss them on here, but I see they are spending time on other forums that address the their current interests. I wish them both well and continued success in their endeavors--they are a great example of being able to find a niche that matches their talents and love of the woodturning craft.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I seem to recall following a thread they were posting on the remodel of their house...I don't recall if they posted on the final renovation.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I seem to recall following a thread they were posting on the remodel of their house...I don't recall if they posted on the final renovation.
I don't remember either... and I haven't been up there since their remodel... if you are ever able to visit make sure to look at Alan's chimney - a REAL craftsman's legacy!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS