Planer Needed

DavidMagee

New User
David
I have eight boards (26" x 16") that need one pass through a planer to knock off dried residue. I would do it myself but don't have a planer wide enough to do the job. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated, and I'll drive as far as I need to go to do it. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8510.jpg
    IMG_8510.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_8511.jpg
    IMG_8511.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 212

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
If you are near Fayetteville, NC then hit up Ballash Woodworks (910-709-0717). They have a drum sander and planer large enough to flatten that out for you.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
what is the residue? I have the equipment but It depends on what is on the lumber. Knives are 200 bucks a set so I am carful about what I run through my planer.

DavidMagee

New User
David
what is the residue? I have the equipment but It depends on what is on the lumber. Knives are 200 bucks a set so I am carful about what I run through my planer.
Fred, it's a 3M plastic adhesive. Dried, it feels and sticks like beads of wood glue.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have to decline. Sorry but between the adhesive and the MDF I can't. As Mike Davis said a scraper would be a better choice.

DavidMagee

New User
David
I have to decline. Sorry but between the adhesive and the MDF I can't. As Mike Davis said a scraper would be a better choice.
I understand, Fred, but many thanks none-the-less. On this project, a scraper won't do it, and I don't want to dig into the MDF. I really just want to shave off the residue (about 1/16") without digging into the MDF. (I agree with planing MDF; never had much success with it.)

DavidMagee

New User
David
I would use a scraper on that. Never had much happy planing MDF board.
If the adhesive popped-off with a little encouragement, Mike, I'd do it--and still might. But if I could shave off 1/16" down to the MDF surface (without digging into the MDF), it would be infinitely more efficient.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I dont think anyone is going to run that through a planer, I know I wouldnt. your best option is a CNC.

Last edited:

DavidMagee

New User
David
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I found a solution. I purchased a Dremel oscillating tool. Using the flat blade that sits flush with the surface, it chews the glue deposits up with minimal affect on the MDF. Thanks again.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS