Decent price ?

Curt W

New User
Curt
I don’t normally buy this much material at once but felt like a good deal. 400 linear feet for $1 a foot. Most is 8’ x 7” x5/4. 50/50 mix of oak and maple. Was that a decent price ?

79EB7F8C-6F4E-4B77-A634-0013445814BE.jpeg
B3D8B32D-39BA-4A49-B088-64195C5B3F44.jpeg
24AA97E4-999B-40D0-8E68-DA1782BFB679.jpeg

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
According to the prices on the Steve Wall Lumber website, yes, especially if they all clean up as well as the ambrosia maple board.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like good lumber, when I have tried to get cheap lumber in the past I ended up burning it to keep warm.

I think you got an outstanding deal, mostly because the lumber appears to be outstanding.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
That looks like a great deal. A Lot of rough lumber will have a fair amount of loss, but at that price, totally worth it, 2 x 6 and above is 8-10 times that cost retail, so congrats !

Curt W

New User
Curt
If anyone wants his # I’m guessing he has another 2K linear feet for sale. He’s in Lenoir. That’s not that far from you is it Mike ?
I‘d buy more if I had a place to store it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If anyone wants his # I’m guessing he has another 2K linear feet for sale. He’s in Lenoir. That’s not that far from you is it Mike ?
I‘d buy more if I had a place to store it.
I'm close to Winston-Salem and no room to store lumber nor a truck to haul it.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Looks like good lumber, when I have tried to get cheap lumber in the past I ended up burning it to keep warm.

I think you got an outstanding deal, mostly because the lumber appears to be outstanding.
Me too Mike.I paid premium money for flute wood. I got it. It was beautiful BUT warped...Red flamed box elder.... I don't do that anymore..It was from an individual...I only buy from people I know somewhat or a business...Expensive lesson...I dont even go to that site anymore......This wood that Curt bought looks really good! at a great price I think !

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
What did you use to finish this table. I love that high gloss and might want to do something similar for a new desk
Unlike some others here on the site, I advocate using water on a rag to raise the grain after sanding it. Tiny whiskers appear and they will play havoc with your finish.

This is a table I built last year and I only had some walnut in the shop to build the undercarriage. I bought the one maple board 8/4 stock and the man at the mill sawed it for me into 2 bookmatched pieces. With a little work I got the top flat and elected to try some water based finish on the maple. Why water based? Its very easy to apply and just as easy to touch up. Scot it is not as hard as oil based varnish but it has 2 advantages: it dries very quickly and it doesn't require much to clean it up.

Final answer to your simple question-- I used Rock Hard waterbased varnish and some minwax varnish mixed up. I used gloss and semi gloss to get the "in-between" look on the surface.

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
You may get a different result but Curt passed the seller's number to me. I called and was sent to a full voicemail after two rings. I sent a text thinking maybe that would be his preference but did not get a response. Good luck

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
I was able to get him on the phone (thanks Curt) and am going by there today. Anyone have a specific request (photos, remaining amount, etc) I can help out with?

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
I ended up with about 120 linear feet of oak and maple. Boardfoot wise I grabbed about 80 which puts it at $1.50/bf on avg. He has had the wood for about two to three years and is always looking to sell any or all. He was very patient with me and I believe i was there about an hour. The pieces I selected were 4/4 to 6/4, ranged from 4.5 to 9 inches wide (most around the 6-7in like Curt said) and were from 6ft to 12ft long (most around 8ft).

Shawn is about 8 miles east of Lenoir close to US-64. I told him I would pass along his number like Curt did but by PM.

20210118_135446.jpg
20210118_135457.jpg
20210118_135523.jpg
20210118_135544.jpg

Curt W

New User
Curt
I ended up with about 120 linear feet of oak and maple. Boardfoot wise I grabbed about 80 which puts it at $1.50/bf on avg. He has had the wood for about two to three years and is always looking to sell any or all. He was very patient with me and I believe i was there about an hour. The pieces I selected were 4/4 to 6/4, ranged from 4.5 to 9 inches wide (most around the 6-7in like Curt said) and were from 6ft to 12ft long (most around 8ft).

Shawn is about 8 miles east of Lenoir close to US-64. I told him I would pass along his number like Curt did but by PM.

View attachment 199172
View attachment 199173
View attachment 199174
View attachment 199176
Excellent. Glad it worked out. If i had room I’d go buy another 500 feet from him. Did he tell ya where he gets this lumber from and why ?

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
He said he got it from work and I believe it was something about odd sizes. I dont think he works there anymore but he did say he paid less than he is charging so he is making money. I guess he is only advertising on Facebook Marketplace but sounds like he wants to get rid of it all. He had more in another building I didnt take a photo of.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS