A New Box

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Finished this today from plans I got off the internet.

Attachments

• 2E970B58-0F06-4A43-8B5B-8FDED29451E0.jpeg
    2E970B58-0F06-4A43-8B5B-8FDED29451E0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 272
  • 3820E709-37BB-4C8F-B5E8-713EC139FC0A.jpeg
    3820E709-37BB-4C8F-B5E8-713EC139FC0A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
  • C0A59C51-18CD-4D79-9F64-ED77BAFA54B8.jpeg
    C0A59C51-18CD-4D79-9F64-ED77BAFA54B8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 331

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Got the plans and instruction through Vectric.com...they offer monthly projects to their software subscribers of Aspire and V-Carve.

Last edited:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Cool project Phil. I watched the video..there was significant 'hand' work after the CNC work is done - and a pretty involved finishing schedule too!

I like what you did with the border on the top of the box. Project lends itself well to customization..you could engrave names/dates on the spines, the top cover.

What's your CNC machine and how long did this project take to run on it?

-Mark

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Cool project Phil. I watched the video..there was significant 'hand' work after the CNC work is done - and a pretty involved finishing schedule too!

I like what you did with the border on the top of the box. Project lends itself well to customization..you could engrave names/dates on the spines, the top cover.

What's your CNC machine and how long did this project take to run on it?

-Mark

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Mark...You're right, it was a pretty involved even after the CNC work...I had never tried any finishing as recommended in the video, but after taking a deep breath a couple of times, I decided I could mess up only so badly.

My machine is a self designed homebuilt...made of aluminum extrusions, aluminum plate, and steel. It has a 3' x 4' bed, and a 3 hp air cooled spindle.

Machine time on that box took slightly over 4 hours for four sides of the box, four sides of the lid, and engraving the top...cuts were made with a 1/8" diameter tapered ball nose bit, stepping over .010" for each pass...engraving was done with a 60 deg "V" bit.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Phil, fantastic work. I "read" very much effort in this project.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow, that is an awesome piece; outstanding craftsmanship! Thank you for posting.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS