Knurled apple tree

Xylophobe

New User
Ray
Anyone interested in this 20 year old apple tree that I am removing? It has knurled trunks that should have nice grain patterns. The larger trunk is 5" - 6" caliper. Some of the wood (2-3") is very straight for turning on a lathe. An area has borer holes.

I expect the end user would prefer to section the tree.

Tree is in west Cary, off Hwy 55.

20210111_112419.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Anyone interested in this 20 year old apple tree that I am removing? It has knurled trunks that should have nice grain patterns. The larger trunk is 5" - 6" caliper. Some of the wood (2-3") is very straight for turning on a lathe. An area has borer holes.

I expect the end user would prefer to section the tree.

Tree is in west Cary, off Hwy 55.

View attachment 199035

If it produces good fruit, you could wait until spring and clone it. Then you could replant the cloned sapling, somewhere else.

Xylophobe

New User
Ray
Not a bad idea, but don't have a place to put it. It's an Arbor Day crabapple that we never jellied. But the birds loved it. Likely from the borers, the tree has started to fail on fruit. It'll be firewood in a couple years if the burls don't draw any takers.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would love to have it, but the time and distance are just to great. Anybody headed from Cary to Augusta/Atlanta? ;) I'll be 3 hours off the interstate effective tomorrow, Lord willing.

Billm0066

Bill
User
I would love to turn some of that. I’m in Raleigh so local to you. Want me to bring a chainsaw by? I have a battery powered ego chainsaw.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Not a bad idea, but don't have a place to put it. It's an Arbor Day crabapple that we never jellied. But the birds loved it. Likely from the borers, the tree has started to fail on fruit. It'll be firewood in a couple years if the burls don't draw any takers.

Cloning is part of my plan to establish a small ~ 2 acre fruit tree orchard. That's the only reason it came to mind.

Xylophobe

New User
Ray
I would love to turn some of that. I’m in Raleigh so local to you. Want me to bring a chainsaw by? I have a battery powered ego chainsaw.
Bill - my chain saw is on the fritz, but if you're looking for pieces to turn, I've got a hand pruner that would work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS