Heat sterilizing lumber?

Scott H

Scott
User
My mother had a few walnut trees cut down a couple years ago and we have a bunch of walnut boards and some flitches that have been air drying outside in her back yard since. It's definitely time to take them inside. I don't really have space for them indoors here in Raleigh but my brother in Greensboro does. Should I consider getting them heat sterilized to reduce the risk of introducing pests to his building? If so can anyone recommend a service? The flitches especially I am worried about because I can definitely see bug holes where the bark was.

I don't have the number of board feet off hand but it's a pretty good stack, it was like 3 walnut trees that were 30+ years old.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Since bugs/termites are constant problem here in Hawaii, if we have material we want to assure is pest free, we contact a fumigation company and see where they are going to tent their next home and they stick it in the garage, or some times they will just tent the wood in their parking lot. Normally, the cost here is 50-100 bucks. 100% effective. I would be a bit concerned about warping from introducing heat onto wood. This may not be common in North Carolina, but here it is totally common.

Scott H

Scott
User
Since bugs/termites are constant problem here in Hawaii, if we have material we want to assure is pest free, we contact a fumigation company and see where they are going to tent their next home and they stick it in the garage, or some times they will just tent the wood in their parking lot. Normally, the cost here is 50-100 bucks. 100% effective. I would be a bit concerned about warping from introducing heat onto wood. This may not be common in North Carolina, but here it is totally common.

I like the price, but would that prevent me from using any of this lumber for cutting boards or other kitchen/food contact projects because of insecticide exposure? That is why I was initially drawn to heat sterilization.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
No, The Gas they use become inert after a couple of days, otherwise they could not use it at all in a residence.

I like the price, but would that prevent me from using any of this lumber for cutting boards or other kitchen/food contact projects because of insecticide exposure? That is why I was initially drawn to heat sterilization.

Denis Buxton

New User
DenisB
Current regulations for heat sterilization of these wood products require holding a center temperature of 133°F for 30 min.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS