cool way to dress up / complicate a plywood bookcase

BKHam

Bradley
User
i started out naively thinking that it would be a quick 45 miter, then i was thinking it will be a 30 / 60 degree combo. then i realized its something altogether different.
20210103_191906.jpg
20210103_191924.jpg

I used a easy 2x2 square to try and figure out the two angles involved. I had a unfinished table saw sled i cannibalized to create the two angles.
20210101_202935.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow, a great detail there. Looks great.
Not worth it though for the 'paint grade' piece I will be working on shortly.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Wow, a great detail there. Looks great.
Not worth it though for the 'paint grade' piece I will be working on shortly.

i did two of these bookcases and seriously thought about abandoning the whole idea and painting.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
and even though I am not really aftraid of math, I'd do this with a bevel guide (if that's what you call it) and a few test pieces.

BKHam

Bradley
User
and even though I am not really aftraid of math, I'd do this with a bevel guide (if that's what you call it) and a few test pieces.

in practice, i did a bunch of test pieces. i would adjust the angle one of the sleds and then square the other sled to it.

also, your edge banding has to be in its final size to do this. that can be much more finicky than making it oversize and flushing. not something i'd do for every project but was cool for a one-off.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am not only impressed with your woodworking craftsmanship, I am also impressed with your math skills! It has been so many years since I have used anything but the most rudimentary geometry formulas, I would have been stumped - other than the trial and error method. Well-done, thanks for sharing!

BKHam

Bradley
User
I am not only impressed with your woodworking craftsmanship, I am also impressed with your math skills! It has been so many years since I have used anything but the most rudimentary geometry formulas, I would have been stumped - other than the trial and error method. Well-done, thanks for sharing!

it took a lot of googling to refresh my mind

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS