4x4s better than HD and lowes Bragg area

JpHess

New User
Pat
As the title says I’m looking for better options for 4x4s. I previously built a farm house table for my wife but I wasn’t happy with the quality of the wood. So after gaining more experience and confidence I want to rebuild the base but want a better start. We have an 84 lumber, any good stuff coming out of there?

Billm0066

Bill
User
Home Depot only sells pressure treated 4x4 don’t they? I wouldn’t use it for a table base unless it stays outside. You can see the lumber at 84 before you buy it unless it changed with covid. Tell them it’s for a table and you need straight clean pieces.

JpHess

New User
Pat
Home Depot only sells pressure treated 4x4 don’t they? I wouldn’t use it for a table base unless it stays outside. You can see the lumber at 84 before you buy it unless it changed with covid. Tell them it’s for a table and you need straight clean pieces.
They do have a small section of non pressure treat. You know how the game goes. Limber up and dig through the pile

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Go to a Lumber supply ask for #1 4x4 if you are want something better. If you want treated and it is not goiong top be ground contact but outside, get Hi-bor treated wood (Borate)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you can't find anything local, try The Hardwood Store of NC, in Gibsonville, NC. I built the table below several years ago and used 16/4 Poplar to turn the legs. Since it was being painted, Poplar was fine. But they probably have whatever species you need.

Angela's Diining Table.png

JpHess

New User
Pat
If you can't find anything local, try The Hardwood Store of NC, in Gibsonville, NC. I built the table below several years ago and used 16/4 Poplar to turn the legs. Since it was being painted, Poplar was fine. But they probably have whatever species you need.

View attachment 198756
This is what I had built. 100% pine. It was a humbling experience making a table. I learned a lot about how much I didn’t know about wood working. I’m excited to go back after it though and make something better.

Attachments

• ED701A15-DE93-4794-A4A4-A07214C6FC6E.jpeg
    ED701A15-DE93-4794-A4A4-A07214C6FC6E.jpeg
    854.7 KB · Views: 188

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This is what I had built. 100% pine. It was a humbling experience making a table. I learned a lot about how much I didn’t know about wood working. I’m excited to go back after it though and make something better.

So are you going to build the same base w/ something other than Pine, or are you going to build a different style base?

JpHess

New User
Pat
So are you going to build the same base w/ something other than Pine, or are you going to build a different style base?
Honestly, I’ll probably rebuild it (my wife loves the table) but do half lap and mortise and tenon joints. Also, I did pine because it was what was easiest for me to get. That was the only reason.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pat, I have to say from the picture - that REALLY looks good!
I know we all see our mistakes and things we don't like - so it will be good to go through it again, especially since you have more experience now.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
There is a sawmill on 87 between Sanford and Burlington with a sign indicating a showroon for pine lumber. I know nothing about them just saw it on the way to the Fayetteville skateboard park.

JpHess

New User
Pat
Pat, I have to say from the picture - that REALLY looks good!
I know we all see our mistakes and things we don't like - so it will be good to go through it again, especially since you have more experience now.
Thank you! It was a good learning experience. I’m excited to get back after it and make something better.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS