Reversing drum switch wanted ADDENDUM

Strom

New User
Strom
Trying to put a reversing switch on my PM lathe . Anybody have one they could part with? Have pay pal . Thanks
The lathe has a 1.5 hp single phase motor . It is factory equipped with a mag starter. This is a PM 90 probably eighties.

Last edited:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
There are several types. The most commonly available is for 3 phase. Does your shop have 3 phase? More information is needed before you end up with the wrong one.

Charley

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I reversed my lathe w/ a common DPDT switch from the BORG. Here is what the wiring looks like.

1608598074802.png

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Those diagrams always remind me of one of those genetic family tree diagrams ..... :D

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Trying to put a reversing switch on my PM lathe . Anybody have one they could part with? Have pay pal . Thanks
The lathe has a 1.5 hp single phase motor . It is factory equipped with a mag starter. This is a PM 90 probably eighties.

The diagram I show above should still work w/ the mag starter. Wire the DPDT switch between the starter and the motor. Flip the switch for 'forward' or 'reverse', then push the starter.

Incidentally, the YouTube video I linked doesn't start the wiring process until almost 3 min. in.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Bill,

Your diagram will only work for a DC motor. He has a 1.5 hp single phase induction motor. His reversing switch is going to need to be much more complicated than that.

I was hoping to get him to post the wiring information for his motor. Being a single phase induction motor is going to require a circuit that changes the motor start winding orientation and capacitor starting circuit in order to reverse it. Once running, it doesn't care which way it is going. There are many variations out there in the World so he is going to need a reversing switch and circuit tailored to his need. If he goes somewhere and just asks for a "Reversing switch" he is likely going to end up with the 3 phase reversing switch that I noted, since that is the most common industrial reversing switch, and it won't work for him.

@Strom ,

Please provide more information. A wiring diagram showing your motor connections, etc. Some induction motors have connection diagrams on the back side of the cover over the location where the power cable enters the motor. A photo or scan of this diagram, as well as other information related to the wiring from your tool manual would help us better help you.

Charley

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Crucial question: is the motor 220 volts or 110 volts single phase?
There are two types of 'reversing' switches.
One type is a drum switch that's usually used for starting a motor. Rigging up a drum switch inside the motor compartment so it is between the motor and the starter is a good strategy.
Second is a double pole, double throw (DPDT) switch that's a little thing with six connections. This is usually crammed inside the motor's junction box after one drills the proper hole in the junction box. This means you'll have to reach to the motor to reverse the motor's direction.
The DPDT switches are usually $15.00 or less. A good drum switch will cost about $60.00 LINK
Here's a couple of diagrams I've saved that might be helpful for the DPDT switches
1  dpdt switch - 1.jpg
Above for 220 volts

1  dpdt switch - 2.jpg
above for 110 volts

Strom

New User
Strom
Bill,

Your diagram will only work for a DC motor. He has a 1.5 hp single phase induction motor. His reversing switch is going to need to be much more complicated than that.

I was hoping to get him to post the wiring information for his motor. Being a single phase induction motor is going to require a circuit that changes the motor start winding orientation and capacitor starting circuit in order to reverse it. Once running, it doesn't care which way it is going. There are many variations out there in the World so he is going to need a reversing switch and circuit tailored to his need. If he goes somewhere and just asks for a "Reversing switch" he is likely going to end up with the 3 phase reversing switch that I noted, since that is the most common industrial reversing switch, and it won't work for him.

@Strom ,

Please provide more information. A wiring diagram showing your motor connections, etc. Some induction motors have connection diagrams on the back side of the cover over the location where the power cable enters the motor. A photo or scan of this diagram, as well as other information related to the wiring from your tool manual would help us better help you.

Charley
As you might know the motor plate is on the other side of the motor. Tried to photo but no luck yet. If you are familiar with the PM 90 you know the motor is practically inaccessible. I will get under there and get the info when these old bones allow!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Look at the mag starter. The coil voltage and heater value should tell you something, depending on the brand.
Sounds like getting to the motor, regardless, is going to be a pain on a multitude of levels.
1  PM90 - 1.jpg
a 1970s era Powermatic 90 with a Leeson motor.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's the insides of another 90 that had a different motor.
The junction box seems accessible enough for a reversing switch

1  PM90 1 - 1.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill,

Charlie, I've had that exact same configuration on my Delta lathe for over 20 years. It works fine. Since the motor plugs into the wall circuit I assume it is a A/C motor. (?) I just flip it to 'forward' or 'reverse' before I turn the motor on. What am I missing?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
An AC motor has a starting circuit and starting windings in the motor so the hookup is considerably more complicated. Terminals 5 and 8 have to be involved. Knowing where those terminals on the diagram would be crucial to understanding what's going onl
I've had a DC motor and controller on a lathe and the reversing switch for the DC motor was as diagramed above in Bill's post.

Strom

New User
Strom
One type is a drum switch that's usually used for starting a motor. Rigging up a drum switch inside the motor compartment so it is between the motor and the starter is a good strategy.
Second is a double pole, double throw (DPDT) switch that's a little thing with six connections. This is usually crammed inside the motor's junction box after one drills the proper hole in the junction box. This means you'll have to reach to the motor to reverse the motor's direction.
The DPDT switches are usually $15.00 or less. A good drum switch will cost about $60.00 LINK
Here's a couple of diagrams I've saved that might be helpful for the DPDT switches
View attachment 198595
Above for 220 volts

View attachment 198596
above for 110 volts
The motor is 220 volts.

Strom

New User
Strom
View attachment 198595
Above for 220 volts

View attachment 198596
above for 110 volts
Bob thanks. I have now ordered a drum switch. The 220 diagram above should be the same for it ?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
My diagram was for the little DPDT switch.
A drum switch will come with wiring diagrams that should work just fine.
Here's how I did a drum switch on my 220 volt single phase shaper.
1  FurnasIMG_7044 - 1.jpg

1  FurnasIMG_7044 2 - 1.jpg

1  FurnasIMG_7044 2 - 2.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

View attachment 198596
above for 110 volts

Bob's second method above is how I modified my lathe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS