Who can help me plane a rough cut piece of hardwood

Frank Schaffer

New User
Frank
I have a 2" x 20" x 64" piece of Mahogany I inherited from my father that I've looking to finish plane. I will be cutting it down to 16", is there anyone who can help me Plane the finished 16" width? Obviously my 12" plane isn't going to do the trick and I don't want to rip it and join it.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
If no one close to you has a planer that size, you'll need to consider building a router sled.

Last edited:

Jerry C

Jerry
Senior User
Frank, if you live near Gibsonville you could take It to the Hardwood Store.....for a few bucks they can finish plane it for you....they can handle really large panels. I have always gotten great results there.

dpfeiffer

New User
Don
Frank, if you live near Gibsonville you could take It to the Hardwood Store.....for a few bucks they can finish plane it for you....they can handle really large panels. I have always gotten great results there.
Jerry, I have always been told by the hardwood store that if I did not buy the wood there, then they will not put it thru their planer because they are worried about nails and such. I have 10 poplar boards and some pine I had milled 5 years ago that I need to get planed also and I’m having the same trouble. Alamance lumber in Burlington has the planer big enough to do his 16” board but I called them the other day and they still have not changed their knives from when I was there almost a year and half ago and they pretty much ruined a load of oak I had to build cabinet doors for someone and when I got it back it had huge ridges and valleys from torn up knives so I can not recommend them.

Frank Schaffer

New User
Frank
Everyone, thank you very much for the feedback. I'm in Apex, NC outside Raleigh as mentioned by Jeff. I'll respond to each of you individually. On the comment from Don, I've had the same feedback, no one commercially that I've found are willing to touch wood they didn't sell. I will be scanning the wood for metal prior to having anyone touch it but I doubt it is a concern. My father ran a custom woodworking shop in NYC back in the 60s and 70s. This wood he bought for a project in the late 60s that never got completed and since he passed away I'm trying to finish it for him. Again thank you!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If you don't mind the ride I can get it done Saturday afternoon or Sunday. Late afternoon works as well any day except tomorrow.

Frank Schaffer

New User
Frank
If you don't mind the ride I can get it done Saturday afternoon or Sunday. Late afternoon works as well any day except tomorrow.
This weekend could work. Let me confirm with my boss (wife) to ensure she doesn't have anything planned. Again thank you Fred.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Got no holiday plans until the 26th. Address is franklinton but I'm closer to youngsville. Let me know and I'll get you the address.

Frank Schaffer

New User
Frank
Got no holiday plans until the 26th. Address is franklinton but I'm closer to youngsville. Let me know and I'll get you the address.
Thank you Fred, either day works for me, you can pick day and time. Let me know what it will cost so I can be prepared. Thank you Again!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS