Wondering if I get a discount

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am doing a deep drive into revamping my 1979 home. Walls coming down, ceiling being raised, hardwood floors and Phil-made custom kitchen. Cherry cabinets and cherry slab countertops including an island that will require a 138 x 50+ x 2 cherry top.

During my monthly trip to see Dan's (danmart77) progress on his adirondack guide boat, we discussed my search for such a large top. Dan suggested Irion Lumber in central PA. A quick web search showed a curly cherry matched set of 10/4 with almost those exact measurements- a road trip is now in my plans.

So why should I get discount? Maybe a family discount?
Irion Lumber is in Wellsboro, PA. Wellsboro is named after Mary Wells, whom is the daughter of Henry Edmund Wells 1672-1714.
Henry is my 6th great grandfather, son of Edmund C Wells who first arrived in the colonies in 1683.
Yep I think I should get the discount

ps. Dan's boat is coming along nicely.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I am doing a deep drive into revamping my 1979 home. Walls coming down, ceiling being raised, hardwood floors and Phil-made custom kitchen. Cherry cabinets and cherry slab countertops including an island that will require a 138 x 50+ x 2 cherry top.

During my monthly trip to see Dan's (danmart77) progress on his adirondack guide boat, we discussed my search for such a large top. Dan suggested Irion Lumber in central PA. A quick web search showed a curly cherry matched set of 10/4 with almost those exact measurements- a road trip is now in my plans.

So why should I get discount? Maybe a family discount?
Irion Lumber is in Wellsboro, PA. Wellsboro is named after Mary Wells, whom is the daughter of Henry Edmund Wells 1672-1714.
Henry is my 6th great grandfather, son of Edmund C Wells who first arrived in the colonies in 1683.
Yep I think I should get the discount

ps. Dan's boat is coming along nicely.

Can we assume your kitchen is coming along nicely as well?

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
[Caution] Irion Lumber is a very slippery slope [/caution]

Hope you get the discount, it will come in handy. Say hello to Myron Yoder. Just as a FYI via email from from Irion lumber;

Just wanted to let everyone know that Irion lumber Co. is going to be closed the week between Christmas and New Years. If you need something for that week, the last day we will be shipping is on Wednesday, December 23th. Please have the order in by 10:00 AM Tuesday, December 22nd, to give us time to pull the material. We will be back and in full swing again on Jan 4th.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Phil, pretty sure that all of us in the forum are related to you in some way ........... which brings me to remind you ..... we have been waiting for the Christmas present from you for eons ! :D

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Knowing your family history, and being the archivist for the pieces you have is just incredible to me.

My artifacts only go back to my maternal grandfather and a pair of early 20th century chairs he allegedly made and that I can remember them using for every meal at the WPA/CCC built house they lived in Alabama and I was growing up in Ohio. Say them 2 weeks every year until we bought their farm and moved into that house. The legs of the chairs are worn down several inches from scraping the floors over the years. And, I know I have some tools from my paternal grandfather. In fact, I probably have more ancestral artifacts than my siblings. Still, nothing I have compares to youryou and your families history that you know. I still cherish the times sitting at your table and having you tell the stories of your ancestors.

PS. Yes sir, I think you deserve a discount.

PPS. I am awaiting the book you write covering your family's history.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't help with the discount but if you need any semi skilled hands for grunt work I would be glad to come assist.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Knowing your family history, and being the archivist for the pieces you have is just incredible to me.

My artifacts only go back to my maternal grandfather and a pair of early 20th century chairs he allegedly made and that I can remember them using for every meal at the WPA/CCC built house they lived in Alabama and I was growing up in Ohio. Say them 2 weeks every year until we bought their farm and moved into that house. The legs of the chairs are worn down several inches from scraping the floors over the years. And, I know I have some tools from my paternal grandfather. In fact, I probably have more ancestral artifacts than my siblings. Still, nothing I have compares to youryou and your families history that you know. I still cherish the times sitting at your table and having you tell the stories of your ancestors.

I'm not even sure who my father was. No heirlooms, no inheritance, very little family history.
But, somehow I muddle through...

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Irion Lumber - the ultimate candy store for beautiful wood. Located in a beautiful area of the country.
Enjoy the trip !!! Great people , great service !!! Don't forget the T-shirt.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

I am blessed to have a brother-in-law that loves to research families. So he has recently documented his years of research into the Wells family - my Grandmothers side. And Gene when you were here July of 2019, this info was not available.

So as Paul Harvey said many times, here is the rest of the story.

On my way up to Wellsboro I will stop by Wellsville, another town in the Wells family. It was Abraham Wells that named the town when he moved the Wells Whip factory there - sort of like Hershey PA. There seem to be Wells all over PA.

The family research on the Wells, my grandmother, dates clear back to good old Ragemer, born in 1037 and who served as a knight in the court of William the Conqueror. His grandson Robert lived in Wells so they called him Robert of Wells. My fathers name is Robert Wells Soper.

If I did my count correctly, Knight Ragemer was my 26th great grandfather

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Phil, I firmly believe that "thinking" about a project is an underrated part of the building process! Since I am not very proficient with software products such as SketchUp, I have to get buy with crude diagrams of what the picture of have in my mind. I am delighted to learn that you are advancing from thinking to acting; nonetheless, all the time you have spent thinking has been well spent!:)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Don- This is the most important thought part of doing a project. Something I learned when I was a classical musician (symphony player), if you sit down and go though the first part of the music in your head in real time, it allows you to increase your focus and attention duration. By doing so, you then are more clear minded to keep track of what will happen 3 steps from now. This technique can be applied to anything you do. Basically, going through what you about to try in real time visualizing it in you head. I do have software but like you, more often I still find myself drawing things out as it helps me connect with the project better.

Phil, I firmly believe that "thinking" about a project is an underrated part of the building process! Since I am not very proficient with software products such as SketchUp, I have to get buy with crude diagrams of what the picture of have in my mind. I am delighted to learn that you are advancing from thinking to acting; nonetheless, all the time you have spent thinking has been well spent!:)

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm not even sure who my father was. No heirlooms, no inheritance, very little family history.
But, somehow I muddle through...
And, oh what skills and experiences you share from your life.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@drw and @Oka I have heard a lot of "makers" tend to like drawing even if the final version is done in some version of CAD. The argument is that your hand and brain are "thinking" through the process and you might anticipate problem before you face them in the making... I think this is true, but I really want to learn Sketch-up.

I have used AutoCAD, Intergraph, Pro-E and struggle with Sketch-up... I can't figure out why?!!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I too want to learn SU - but struggle getting anywhere. Unlike Hank, I have no experience to 'draw on' though (pun intended).

dpfeiffer

New User
Don
Don- This is the most important thought part of doing a project. Something I learned when I was a classical musician (symphony player), if you sit down and go though the first part of the music in your head in real time, it allows you to increase your focus and attention duration. By doing so, you then are more clear minded to keep track of what will happen 3 steps from now. This technique can be applied to anything you do. Basically, going through what you about to try in real time visualizing it in you head. I do have software but like you, more often I still find myself drawing things out as it helps me connect with the project better.

since you played classical music, were you familiar at all with a pianist from Boulder Colorado by the name of Don Campbell?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS