And then the magic smoke oozed out of the table saw ...

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Yes, it's been that kind of day.

I've been working on a large bookcase system for our church library, and today I was cutting the shelf edge pieces (3/4" x 1" air-dried poplar). The wood had a unique odor (reminded me of an extended visit to Hobby Lobby or Michael's), so I didn't think much about it. Then my wife came down to the shop and asked me what was burning. I said it was just the wood ... but that got me thinking.

The saw (a very old Craftsman 113.226880 ... 10" blade, direct-drive motor/arbor, oddball zero clearance insert, and a fence with a mind of its own) really doesn't owe me anything, but I'd like to get it replaced before the rest of the smoke escapes.

Yes, the motor is running hot, yes the power cord is warming up more than normal, and yes, I JUST installed a brand new rip blade since I knew I'd be doing a lot of ripping for the trim on this project.

So, here's my question ... I need to identify a replacement that's available, I'd LIKE to keep the price under $1500.00, and I don't want a benchtop saw. The current saw has cast iron table extensions, 24" right of blade and maybe 12" left of blade ... keeping within that footprint will allow me to keep the current shop layout (table saw out-feed is my main bench).

With a 48" x 96" CNC Router in the shop, I really don't need a huge cabinet saw (nor do I really have the room), and there are jobs that are just better done on a table saw.

What are your recommendations? Suggestions? A friend of mine ordered a Grizzly table saw last summer and it took 2-3 months for delivery. I'm pretty sure that solution is out of bounds, as this project is already over budget and past the deadline.

I'm located in Kernersville (between Greensboro and Winston Salem), should a previously unannounced bargain present itself.

Thanks for reading ... now to go find the smoke shovel.

Rick

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Every retailer is dealing with supply chain issues. So if your heart is set on a particular make/model of a new saw, you may need to wait.
On the other hand Craigslist can be full of ww-ing tools, until of course you are looking for something specific and then these never seem to appear. If it were me looking for a personal use saw (not for business purposes) CL would be my route.

Cabinet vs contractors saws... either of these would be a significant upgrade to your direct drive saw (power wise). I would not likely suggest another direct drive saw, unless you must for footprint reasons. The footprint of a cabinet saw can actually be smaller than a contractor saw, as there is no motor hanging off the back. Many higher HP motors of a cabinet saw are wired for 240V, so if you don't have that available then I would think you are better off with a contractor's style saw. Delta, Jet and sometimes Powermatics (Artisan?) saws come up regularly on used machinery sites (CL, Facebook marketplace, WhatUp? etc?)

Some prefer old iron (no distinct definition to that, but most consider almost any American made saw to be in this category) - and vintage or just older Delta Unisaws or Powermatic 66s are around and become available (SawStop upgrades or people liquidating their shops). DrBob here in the site (I think that';s his site name, has demostrated expertise and knowledge of the older machinery and seems to be able to answer any old machine type question; there are others here who have restored older machines and can advise you. THese can be GREAT machines, especially with a newer fence.

So that's not exactly answering what you asked... but that is the path I would follow if I were in your shoes. Tiemframes amd budgets all make a difference. With a $1500 you ought to be able to get a great saw on the used market... New? I just don't know.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Raleigh CL - about 1 month ago. Not a vintage saw, but a more modern one.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/raleigh-delta-contractor-tablesaw/7212315133.html

Delta contractor tablesaw - $450 (Raleigh)

Delta contractor tablesaw. With upgraded Biesemeyer fence and Incra upgraded miter gauge. Purchased it at an estate sale it is an almost new condition except for the surface rust seen in the photo.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I recently got a Dewalt 746 used for 350. For me it is a transition saw until I have a shop built. Then back to a cabinet saw of some variety. But, look into the fusion and hybrid saws. They are a step up in accuracy to a shop saw like the Craftsman. Look over how the trunion is built. I would avoid a direct drive saw over one with a belt. The belt driven are quieter and have less vibration. Look at how to adjust the blade alignment to the table. In short do some homework so you are familiar what is what and know which are the ones to keep an eye out for.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Henry,
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I'd been looking at CL for several years now, but don't seem to catch the ads soon enough.

I am not looking for another direct drive saw ... this was supposed to be a temporary solution to my bench top Delta saw that had 1/4" bearing slop (auto-dado someone called it). Temporary lasted 15 years. Not bad for a $150.00 investment I guess.

My shop panel is 6 feet from the saw position, and a nice, unused 240 breaker awaits the new saw! Good point none the less.

I won't say "never" to restoring an older saw, it's just that I haven't seen one that was worth the asking price. I may not be looking in the right places though.

Thanks and regards,

Rick

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the pointer to the Grizzly. I will have to call them tomorrow to see how much additional freight to get one out of Washington, as they are not in stock in Missouri.

I also have to see what has to get moved to fit this saw into the current shop layout ... it might just work.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Oka,

Thanks for your suggestions. As I had mentioned to Henry, this saw was a temporary (15 years IS temporary, right?) solution. I have no love for direct drive saws.

The responses here have been great ... which is why I decided to poke my head up and ask. I'll be digging into the information ... lots to think about.

In the long run, my bookcase project may slow down a little bit because I'm not going to buy the first available saw and hope it fills my needs.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Good evening Jack,

Another good link ... thank you very much.

The Shop Fox W1837 looks like a pretty good saw, sadly no one has them in stock.

I'll keep digging through the rest of the reviews you linked.

Regards,

Rick

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I own a Grizzly table saw (found it used) and have had good service with it. Only to see the curent Grizzly offerings I went to their home page and the image below popped up. That would help with the shipping cost.

1605835927084.png

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
My shop is filled with old iron, everything made in North America before I was born. EXCEPT my table saw. The safety improvements in recent years are too great to get an old saw. Lack of a riving knife is a non-starter for me. I'd like a sawstop one day but boy are they pricey, and I view kickback as a fast more serious risk.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Powermatic 64 circa 2000-2003. $800 Due to age and health I was planning to sell off my shop but have not gotten around to taking inventory etc. Saw your post and deceided to start with the saw. Very good condition and lots of accessories (homemade sled, zc inserts, several blades, push blocks etc. As said wasn't ready/prepared to market so no pictures. Welcome to come see it in Oxford (just off I85 about 90 minutes from you.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Look used contractor size, or for new, check out Harvey. Older saws may not have a riving knife which is to me a problem. I am still considering replacing my Ridgid with a Harvey or maybe SS just for the safety. My Ridgid can rip 3 inch oak, so 1 3/4 HP seems to be enough but gee, a 3 HP cabinet would be sweet.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
As an instant/stop-gap solution, if you can transport all the wood, you could join the Forge (Greensboro non-profit) for a month and use their room full of woodworking equipment for $54/month, just not as handy as your home shop.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Why not just buy a new table saw that fits you $1500 budget and forget about used saws. I don't understand why so many folks avoid direct drive saws and prefer those with belts.

This Powermatic saw is about $1700 and the 10% discount drops it to about $1500. It's in stock at Woodcraft. 230 volt.

This Bosch 4100 contractor saw is about $600 at Lowe's down the street in Kernersville. It's 120 volt and has excellent power for a 120 volt motor. It's another despised direct drive.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The SawStop contractor saw can also be had for $1700 but that is with the 30 inch fence. I looked at that fence when I bought my PCS but decided the extra for the 36 inch was worth it. It's not the extra 6 inches I wanted (mainly), the 36 is a much sturdier beefier fence. That ups the price of the contractor saw to $1900.

Both are with the 120V 1.75hp motor which my PCS has. I had issues with the thermal overload on the saw tripping when I tried to use full kerf blades (as I have with previous 120V saws). Once I switched to thin kerf blades, I have had no issues. Including with full depth rips.

I got stupid with a dado blade on and managed to get a few stitches earlier this year. But I still have the entire finger thanks to the brake. I've used a table saw for close to 50 years and that was my first incident. Glad I had the PCS.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
01d2b0044fe439579ca15b89ea1cc551@sale.craigslist.org here is link to craigslist saw, if still available GRAB IT
Powermatic 64 circa 2000-2003. $800 Due to age and health I was planning to sell off my shop but have not gotten around to taking inventory etc. Saw your post and deceided to start with the saw. Very good condition and lots of accessories (homemade sled, zc inserts, several blades, push blocks etc. As said wasn't ready/prepared to market so no pictures. Welcome to come see it in Oxford (just off I85 about 90 minutes from you.

Great saw great price SAW DUST HERE IT IS DONT LET THIS SLIP BY

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
It might take more time than you have to get the saw you want so maybe I can offer some help. I have a 10” Bosch job site saw you can borrow for an extended period or I could mill up what you need - I have 4/4 poplar in the shop.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS