Creators

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Being a maker is second nature to most of us. We just naturally like to make things. Mostly wood things but also metal, glass, plastic, and even stone things.

Some of us are pretty good at writing about the things we make and a very few have even made short videos about making things.

Now don’t take this the wrong way, I don’t mean to insult anyone and I hope I’m wrong. But, I don’t think that any of us are content creators. We are not generally story writers, movie makers, or video instruction creators.

I think that needs to change. I think we could provide top notch exciting instructional videos and build our YouTube channel into one of the best. Or possible even host them here.

What I think we need is a team to produce projects, write scripts, video the process, edit the video, solve any technical difficulties, and publish on the internet.

We can start small and build up over time.

Look at a lot of maker vids. You will see very much the same sort of stale, cold, impersonal, incomplete and sometimes incorrect talking heads going over the same subjects.

We can do better. We can learn. We can build a team.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Well Mike, I can tell you that a whole of churches have figured out how to do this in March and April of this wonderful year we are in... not that all are first rate production quality like you are describing, but certainly some do.

I have a slight twist on what you are describing - for me the CONTENT (topic etc) has to get my attention - and keep it. If first rate content is there, I can forgive sub-par production value. I don't like poor video or audio, no one does, but many times even with those I can grasp the idea.
Of course what I think you are describing is both - first rate content (hopefully correct content!) with a high standard of production. Those will both take sometime to develop, but these are achievable.

Not certain I have a lot of bandwidth for this, but I will certainly follow this thread and see where it goes. Great idea.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
To be clear, this is not something I can do. And nobody wants to see me on screen. But I can help and I want to be a small part of it.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Personally, most of the maker/craftsman/tool review videos that I see on YouTube could achieve their goal just the same if they were half or two thirds shorter than they are. I don't know of many people who want to sit through 10 minutes + of a video that actually has 3-4 minutes of value. I know that I don't.

I'm a writer, so I could contribute in that way...provided my style meshes with the desired effect the content creator is looking for.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Personally, most of the maker/craftsman/tool review videos that I see on YouTube could achieve their goal just the same if they were half or two thirds shorter than they are. I don't know of many people who want to sit through 10 minutes + of a video that actually has 3-4 minutes of value. I know that I don't.

I'm a writer, so I could contribute in that way...provided my style meshes with the desired effect the content creator is looking for.

IIRC, longer videos pay more. I think videos are monetized differently at 10 minutes, thus creating the ten minute video with 3 minutes of substance.

Claus

Claus
User
Please don’t take this the wrong way. A recent new member has posted some of the best videos I’ve seen. Well made, interesting content, projects that are not out of reach for me, done from start to finish. But while I see a lot of (what I consider off topic) posts like ”happy birthday“ garnering a slew of “Me too” one liner responses, this new member‘s content gets only a few replies and no meaningful encouragement or discussion. Yes, I know I’m free to ignore posts that don't interest me.
Just my 2 cents...

Claus

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Please don’t take this the wrong way. A recent new member has posted some of the best videos I’ve seen. Well made, interesting content, projects that are not out of reach for me, done from start to finish. But while I see a lot of (what I consider off topic) posts like ”happy birthday“ garnering a slew of “Me too” one liner responses, this new member‘s content gets only a few replies and no meaningful encouragement or discussion. Yes, I know I’m free to ignore posts that don't interest me.
Just my 2 cents...

Claus
Where can I see these videos?

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
To me it is all about the delivery of the message and quality of the video. When we got our last new puppy, I googled dog training videos... watched a lot of stale, boring videos in gyms and training centers. Most of them, I never finished the video.

Then I found one guy and watched his entire video library, probably a couple of times. Look up Stoney Dennis, dog training.

Personality and delivery keep your attention. Plus being confident in your message is a must.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I've been bingeing on a podcast that's for content creators, woodworkers, and makers. They cover a lot on video for youtube/instagram/webpages. Over all of about expanding your presence and building your tribe on social media. Is called Made for Profit by Brad Rodriguez (FixThisBuildThat) and John Maleki (goes by his name, former NFL player).

Lots of good stuff.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Personally, most of the maker/craftsman/tool review videos that I see on YouTube could achieve their goal just the same if they were half or two thirds shorter than they are.

Agreed. There's nothing quite like watching a guy drive in every single screw one after another. Even at 2x or 3x speed it's not exactly riveting. <groan>

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I spent 18 years in television. Studio design, shooting,editing,producing the whole 9 yards. I have been pondering a streaming woodworking show for several years. The quality & content you guys want is NOT an easy thing to come up with. I know. That's why my 1 step forward 2 steps back on my show production is occurring. I've been woodworking for many years so I have the background. I know video production so I have the know how. It is still a scary thing to step off the cliff and fly. Just ask any baby bird. So, I'm still redoning my shop with TV production in mind. Since I'm 80 now I better getting cracking or I'll miss the boat. The last thing I want is to create a show find an audience get on my way and kick the bucket. So! We're back to Hamlet, "to be or not to be" is the question and I'm not sure of my answer.

Pop :(

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Just to be clear, long videos don't bother me. Long videos that could be a LOT shorter and still accomplish their goal do.

As a pastor, I know the value of getting to the point quickly and clearly. Many videos that I watch don't do that.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Mike, I think if you're planning on doing this, why use youtube?. Yes, I know thats typically the source for such content, but you have a website already. Why not add the content here?. If you can make these videos as good as you're thinking, the "build it and they will come" mantra could work to bring new members, if even from outside of NC. I have been on this site for several years now and I keep hearing the same questions asked over and over... "which ROS should I buy? Which Lathe?. whats the best finishing process for x......?. NC woodworker should have its own library of videos to peruse about these subjects. NCwoodworker undoubtedly has some of the best woodworkers in the nation and should showcase them , if they want to be. Outsiders and newbies join to hear answers and then leave, I have seen so many posts on here devolve into sideline discussions completely unrelated to the original topic, I cant blame them. Maybe some of the sites current sponsors would even step up and sponsor an individual or 2?.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
So much to say but really, really biting my tongue...

tenny-un
Mike, I watched this and while its a little long winded and I maybe don't agree with all he's said here, but its quite well done actually. The lighting, camera angles and sound are very good. A lot better than many youtube videos Ive seen. Personally, I dont have the patience to create a video of a project, many projects take too long to complete as it is, let alone worry about a camera angle and lighting as I work. You have to give credit where credit is due. Isnt this just the sort of thing youre asking for?

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Entertain or train? A combination is challenging. This should be fun to (watch) unfold.
Some weeks ago, Jimmy Diresta did a few outtakes on his camera(s) setup. Apparently, it takes work (my fav 4 letter word).

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... Isnt this just the sort of thing you're asking for?

Target audience is a key decision - I just watched the video linked above, and have no issues with it at all. BUT if I were a completely novice woodworker, I would have soooo many novice questions:

A. Before he even gets started
- where should I buy wood? (Video - sawmills vs lumberyards vs big box stores); that wood he starts with doesn't look like the stuff I can buy?!
- what kind of wood do I buy?
- how can predict the color of the wood with a finish on it? ('Cuz the colors are different when he is done...)
.... and on and on...

B. In process
- What was that tool? Do I need that or is there another way to do that?
For example - the radius plane is his favorite, and he says he likes better than a router; but my Dad used neither of these to round over, He used a piece of 120 grit (or so) folded over a hard sanding block (piece of wood) to 'break' the edge.
- What options are there for the joinery? Aren't there different ways to create those so-called mortises?
- Do I really need all those tools? (i.e I saw a TS, Domino, mortiser, ROS, several types of handsaws, and at least 3 types of planes, if not 4, used)
- What type of glue? there are 19 kinds of wood glue on the shelf when I look!
.... and on and on...

C. Finishing ...
well many a book has been written here, but even a cursory discussion of finishing wouldn't be brief.
.... and on and on...

Project videos are great because they show ONE way to accomplish something, and how these all fit together into a whole piece. But the info is so incmplete and could be misleading. Only rarely do makers comment on their tool choices and why - or even show options; and there are many options.

So I like Mike's idea, but there is an a lot of potential ground to cover. Doing Tage Frid's books in video would be a lifetime's endeavor. Knowing targets and goals here is important.

I'd have to say that creating a edited list of recommended existing video resources may be more fruitful; of course this would never be a comprehensive list of every good video, but possible 2-3 links to videos that cover a topic reasonably well. Paul Sellers videos on hand plane set up comes to mind, for example; also there are a few wood turners that I would recommend as particularly helpful. If there are gaps in that library, those gaps would be fertile ground for new videos to make.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike, I think if you're planning on doing this, why use youtube?. Yes, I know thats typically the source for such content, but you have a website already. Why not add the content here?. If you can make these videos as good as you're thinking, the "build it and they will come" mantra could work to bring new members, if even from outside of NC. I have been on this site for several years now and I keep hearing the same questions asked over and over... "which ROS should I buy? Which Lathe?. whats the best finishing process for x......?. NC woodworker should have its own library of videos to peruse about these subjects. NCwoodworker undoubtedly has some of the best woodworkers in the nation and should showcase them , if they want to be. Outsiders and newbies join to hear answers and then leave, I have seen so many posts on here devolve into sideline discussions completely unrelated to the original topic, I cant blame them. Maybe some of the sites current sponsors would even step up and sponsor an individual or 2?.
Yes, I think I did say if possible we could host them here. I just don't know if we have the server capacity.

And we have talked about and started a resource library of tutorials with a few very good projects there.

I have asked why they come here to answer one question then leave. I think it is some very negative posts in the past.
I this most of that is gone now, but also some very good people are not coming back.

I would love to see video of your CNC lathe/3D turning center. (Not sure what it is called or exactly what it does)

Yes, I think we should not only sponsor videos but also help in any way possible.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Target audience is a key decision - I just watched the video linked above, and have no issues with it at all. BUT if I were a completely novice woodworker, I would have soooo many novice questions:

A. Before he even gets started
- where should I buy wood? (Video - sawmills vs lumberyards vs big box stores); that wood he starts with doesn't look like the stuff I can buy?!
- what kind of wood do I buy?
- how can predict the color of the wood with a finish on it? ('Cuz the colors are different when he is done...)
.... and on and on...

B. In process
- What was that tool? Do I need that or is there another way to do that?
For example - the radius plane is his favorite, and he says he likes better than a router; but my Dad used neither of these to round over, He used a piece of 120 grit (or so) folded over a hard sanding block (piece of wood) to 'break' the edge.
- What options are there for the joinery? Aren't there different ways to create those so-called mortises?
- Do I really need all those tools? (i.e I saw a TS, Domino, mortiser, ROS, several types of handsaws, and at least 3 types of planes, if not 4, used)
- What type of glue? there are 19 kinds of wood glue on the shelf when I look!
.... and on and on...

C. Finishing ...
well many a book has been written here, but even a cursory discussion of finishing wouldn't be brief.
.... and on and on...

Project videos are great because they show ONE way to accomplish something, and how these all fit together into a whole piece. But the info is so incmplete and could be misleading. Only rarely do makers comment on their tool choices and why - or even show options; and there are many options.

So I like Mike's idea, but there is an a lot of potential ground to cover. Doing Tage Frid's books in video would be a lifetime's endeavor. Knowing targets and goals here is important.

I'd have to say that creating a edited list of recommended existing video resources may be more fruitful; of course this would never be a comprehensive list of every good video, but possible 2-3 links to videos that cover a topic reasonably well. Paul Sellers videos on hand plane set up comes to mind, for example; also there are a few wood turners that I would recommend as particularly helpful. If there are gaps in that library, those gaps would be fertile ground for new videos to make.
Yes, instead of the standard "how to build a bird house" the subjects can be more about technique.
How to choose wood, how to joint and plane boards (in three different shops- Hand only, with jointer
and lunchbox planer or just a sled, and finally with CNC.
In one of Build4Fun video he hand planes a board then puts it in a CNC to carve. Is that realistic?
I mean if you have CNC wouldn't use it to true the surface?

On and on as you outline above...

Perhaps a list is a great place to start then we could fill in with the things we find lacking or missing?

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS