Infill lever cap screw revision

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
The 1/4" x 20 female threads in the lever cap are worn and the lever cap screw wobbles and will not hold tight. I plan to tap the lever cap with 5/16" x 24 and have purchased a new 5/16" x 24 x 1 1/2" bolt. Now I need to figure out how to attach/revise the end of the bolt so it doesn't look like a hex head. Anyone done this or have suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 180

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Grind it round then flute with dremel. Wrap the threads with card stock, chuck in drill, hold against bench grinder stone or belt sander.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Grind it round then flute with dremel. Wrap the threads with card stock, chuck in drill, hold against bench grinder stone or belt sander.
Mike: I am concerned it will be too small in diameter to apply any torque to tighten the blade

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you want to be tricky about it. You will need a min 6"long piece of 2x2 angle 3 - 5/16 nuts, a 1/2 inch drill. To make round, take a piece of 1/8"angle steel drill a hole in it that is 5/16 thread a nut down to the middle of the bolt, then insert through the hole and thread the other 2 on and tighten against each other.

Then place that assembly on the disc sander table and attach the drill to the end nut. Turn on the disc sander and then make sure the drill is rotating in the opposite direction of the disc sander's rotation. Then turn on the drill spinning the bolt and just slide into the disc slowly keeping it 90 deg to the sand surface.

If you already have the parts for this it takes about 5 min to do this, then sand the scratches out by hand and the dremal the flutes in or you can do it by hand with a file as well. You can also do this with a drill press and belt sander but it takes more finesse to keep the edge 90 deg. Just some ideas to add.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The 1/4" x 20 female threads in the lever cap are worn and the lever cap screw wobbles and will not hold tight. I plan to tap the lever cap with 5/16" x 24 and have purchased a new 5/16" x 24 x 1 1/2" bolt. Now I need to figure out how to attach/revise the end of the bolt so it doesn't look like a hex head. Anyone done this or have suggestions?
Why not just buy a knurled head cap screw? McMaster Carr, Grainger, Fastenal, etc all carry them. To retain the 1/4-20 threads, you could install a Heli Coil thread insert. NAPA sell kits with inserts, bit, install tool and correct tap. Can also be found on Ebay.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Why not just buy a knurled head cap screw? McMaster Carr, Grainger, Fastenal, etc all carry them. To retain the 1/4-20 threads, you could install a Heli Coil thread insert. NAPA sell kits with inserts, bit, install tool and correct tap. Can also be found on Ebay.
Bruce: I will look into the knurled head cap screw. That sounds exactly what I need.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I looked at McMaster gnurled nuts out of curiosity. I couldn't find a 5/16" x 24 brass one. They do have this plastic head one 5/16" x 24 x 1.5" if that will work.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I looked at McMaster gnurled nuts out of curiosity. I couldn't find a 5/16" x 24 brass one. They do have this plastic head one 5/16" x 24 x 1.5" if that will work.

Did you look at knurled cap screws, instead of nuts. Amazon carries a large selection, according to google search.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Did you look at knurled cap screws, instead of nuts. Amazon carries a large selection, according to google search.

Yes, that's the McMaster link that I posted Bruce. It's not brass but is a phenolic plastic head. David Turner needs a specific thread size: 5/16" x 24.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Yes, that's the McMaster link that I posted Bruce. It's not brass but is a phenolic plastic head. David Turner needs a specific thread size: 5/16" x 24.
Which is black steel, McMaster Carr stocks. Another option is to thread a brass rod, and soldier a brass knurled nut onto it. If you have access to a lathe, you could knurl some brass rod the size of need nut, and then counter bore and tap for threaded rod. I would still soldier knurled nut on

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I ended up purchasing a 3/8" x 16 UNC x 1 1/2" long stainless knurled head cap screw and tapped the lever cap to that thread. Works great and holds the tapered blade perfectly. In fact I originally thought I would have to put a spacer behind the blade so as to close up the mouth but now that the blade is held tightly, it cuts fluffy less than 0.001" thick shavings without revision.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 129

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS