Cutting Board Reconditioning

Bill J

Bill
User
I made a couple of cutting boards for my daughter a few years ago. I told her that if they got scratched up I could sand them down. She spent the last 4 years overseas and brought the boards "home". I've attached a before and after photos. I finally had to skim this one on the planer to get the deep cuts out.
Thanks to this forum for the suggestion of using beeswax/mineral oil mixture the finish looks great and will probably hold up a little longer. I also made them a plain maple board for general use.

Attachments

• 2020-10-06 17.27.34.jpg
    2020-10-06 17.27.34.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 2020-10-18 11.43.36.jpg
    2020-10-18 11.43.36.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 168

Eric G

Eric
Senior User
Looks like new! Great job with the refinishing. Cutting board finishes will never last forever, so I always suggest people to pick up a small bottle of mineral oil from the pharmacy to use as a bit of reconditioning every few months. Do you make your own mixture? I bought a bottle of Howard's Conditioner (Oil/wax mixture) for a few bucks at Home Depot, but once that runs out I will practice making my own.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done refinish work. Mineral oil or mineral oil/beeswax is a good finish for everyday use cutting boards.

I thought that cutting boards were supposed to get cuts and scratches which gives them that character as well used everyday. ?????

Bill J

Bill
User
Looks like new! Great job with the refinishing. Cutting board finishes will never last forever, so I always suggest people to pick up a small bottle of mineral oil from the pharmacy to use as a bit of reconditioning every few months. Do you make your own mixture? I bought a bottle of Howard's Conditioner (Oil/wax mixture) for a few bucks at Home Depot, but once that runs out I will practice making my own.
I have been making my own. You just need to heat the beeswax a little. Hot water has done the trick for me. about 1/4 to 1/3 wax to mineral oil.

Bill J

Bill
User
Nicely done refinish work. Mineral oil or mineral oil/beeswax is a good finish for everyday use cutting boards.

I thought that cutting boards were supposed to get cuts and scratches which gives them that character as well used everyday. ?????
scratches and cuts yes, but this one looked like it had been run through the dishwasher and used as a target for ax throwing!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS