Lightening wood

Alcareyjr

New User
Al
I was wandering in the woods looking for the Keebler elves when i ran across a dead log. This part looked like it may have been either a burl or a branch that had rotted off. My question is how can i lighten/brighten it to show more of the grain pattern?
PS. I didn't find the elves, and had to be satisfied with the piece of log.

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_150819370.jpg
    IMG_20201014_150819370.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20201014_150616760.jpg
    IMG_20201014_150616760.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20201014_150636670.jpg
    IMG_20201014_150636670.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 196

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are the pictures as found or have you peeled off some of the exterior?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bleach; household laundry type or there is a special two part wood bleach.

but, I thought this was going to be about wood that has been struck by lightning. There is a theory that lightning struck wood has special properties that are great for musical instruments. My daughter has a harp that is a reproduction of one in the Guinness beer museum in Ireland. Her harp was made from a walnut tree that was killed by lightning at the Biltmore Estate.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I would try using a wire brush to it before trying bleach. It looks like there is still quite a bit of dirt in the crevices that can be brushed away.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Scrub with warm soapy water and a wire brush. Dry in the sun. When dry, rub on boiled linseed oil or walnut oil. Repeat until the grain is sharp.

Alcareyjr

New User
Al
I would try using a wire brush to it before trying bleach. It looks like there is still quite a bit of dirt in the crevices that can be brushed away.
I was going to use a nylon bristle brush since I didn't want to damage the surface, just brighten it up.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS