Slidin Miter Saw Advice

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I have the DeWalt 12" slider and am very happy with it (with the exception of the hold down clamps which are worthless). Very accurate, and it took quite a bit of sideways pressure to skew the cut any along the full slide length. Fences are actually vertical !!, and you can remove the upper fence if you need to do any serious bevel cuts. I like the belt drive, which is a bit quieter than direct drive, but iot does have one quik. It kicks up when you hit the trigger. Takes a little getting used to. Easy to trigger either left or right handed. Good lock-down features to prevent damage or getting shaken out of alignment for when you are going to transport it.

I bought mine at Lowe's about a month after Christmas, when DeWalt knocked off about $100 on the price. Not sure if they will do the same this year, but around Feb is when they have done it in past years.

I bought the one with the laser light, but don't use it for fine cuts. I find it more accurate to score it with a knife and set the blade teeth exactly on the line. The one without the laser is $50 cheaper, but otherwise the same saw.

It does take up a lot of real estate, but mine is on an old Rigid MSUV (Miter Saw Utility Vehicle) so it works well for me and is easy to position where I want it when using it in the shop.

I've never had a hold down clamp for a miter saw.

I've been considering the Dewalt. It's the one I use for work. I think it's about $400 with no laser (don't want it). We used to have one of the MSUV stands and replaced it with a Dewalt bicycle cable stand and it's awful. I've been looking around for one of the older MSUV stands with square tube and a flat table under the saw. It's really nice to have a place to set things down on the saw stand. The MSUV stand made of round tube they sell now (miles better than the dewalt stand) is the one we used to have for the work saw. I think that's the one I would get. It doesn't have supports for the wings, which I would like.

I don't know why they are out of favor here, but I have had 2 - Hitachi 8-1/2" SCMSs and they both served me well. Larger mouldings were easy to cut because the saw had preset detents to lay the moulding down in the saw and get a perfect cut. With an adjustable depth stop, kerf cuts for blocking in metal studs was simple. No, you couldn't single cut a 4 x 4, but a standard 10" miter saw does that on the rare occasion it is needed. The thing I liked most about them were they were lighter and easy to get on and off the truck or out of the gang box. Unfortunately, that also made them easier to steal.:mad::mad:

I've never gotten used to cutting crown flat. I've seen a couple of these for sale used, but sellers are mighty proud of them.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, as my Mammy would say, ""To each his own", said the old lady as she kissed the cow."

lvparagod

New User
Roger
I worked for a little company doing interior trim work her in Winston-Salem, he had 7 or 8 Dewalt 12 inch sliders, used daily. Is 12 overkill, yes most days. But standing 6 inch baseboard or any other boards and cutting miters, so worth it. I have had my Dewalt 12 in slider for 15 or so years. I do not use it every day, but never a problem. It keeps its square. I was using it for some end grain boards before I built my table saw sled, and all the pieces lined up pretty well. Go for 12 inch Dewalt, you wont be sorry.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I worked for a little company doing interior trim work her in Winston-Salem, he had 7 or 8 Dewalt 12 inch sliders, used daily. Is 12 overkill, yes most days. But standing 6 inch baseboard or any other boards and cutting miters, so worth it. I have had my Dewalt 12 in slider for 15 or so years. I do not use it every day, but never a problem. It keeps its square. I was using it for some end grain boards before I built my table saw sled, and all the pieces lined up pretty well. Go for 12 inch Dewalt, you wont be sorry.

This is what I've decided on. That and the ridgid stand. The price is right.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Depending on how much accuracy you want and what you will really use it for. My 12 Inch Delwalt is a nice saw, the the small vibration in the blade limits high accuracy across longer cuts, but for general construction it is awesome. My friends 10" Bosch is more exact and the design does not require as much back free area because of the design. Might look at that too, more expensive though.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I bought A 12" Hitachi slider from CPO. Look at what they have to offer. The biggest advantage a recon tool has over a new one, other than price, is that every single unit is tested before shipment, whereas new tools only have representative samples pulled from the line and tested.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the 12" Bosch axial glide also, and have been very happy with it. I only use it in my shop as a hobbyist.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We used to have one of the MSUV stands and replaced it with a Dewalt bicycle cable stand and it's awful. I've been looking around for one of the older MSUV stands with square tube and a flat table under the saw.

The Ridgid stand appears
That and the ridgid stand.

I looked at all 3 awhile ago and don't see much difference in the 3 stands. Have I missed something that makes one awful and another pretty good? I don't have a miter saw and I'm just curious about these stands. Thanks.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My MSUV is the old square tube one that I got for about $50 on clearance when they discontinued it. One of the best buys I have ever made. If Rigid would go back to that old quality, I think they would corner the market.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
The Ridgid stand appears

I looked at all 3 awhile ago and don't see much difference in the 3 stands. Have I missed something that makes one awful and another pretty good? I don't have a miter saw and I'm just curious about these stands. Thanks.

God, where to start. The bicycle cable works about half the time. The wheels are too small so it's hard to roll around a yard and stops if it hits any obstruction, like an air hose. The stand is really narrow and doesn't have handle bars, so it's hard to steer (the small wheels don't help). The narrow frame makes it tippy on uneven surfaces. The wings get stuck/jammed both if you push them too far in and if you pull them too far out.

I feel there was an absolute lack of planning and failure of quality control. If you're rolling from a garage to a driveway, you'd probably never notice much of this.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
My MSUV is the old square tube one that I got for about $50 on clearance when they discontinued it. One of the best buys I have ever made. If Rigid would go back to that old quality, I think they would corner the market.

I'll give you $51.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I think there are currently a lot of good options when it comes to this particular style of miter saw. I have had the Dewalt 780 for over ten years had it has proven to be an excellent saw in terms of durability and accuracy. When I purchased it, I don't recall having as many brand options for a quality saw as there are today.

mpeele

michael
User
I have a Dewalt single bevel 705 12" chop saw and a Bosch 12" axial glide.
I have used Hitachi 8 1/2", Makita, Bosch and Dewalt 12" round bar sliders.
I wouldn't buy a slider until I had the opportunity to us the axial glide. None of the round bar sliders were as accurate as the axial glide.
If I was buying a slider today I would buy the Bosch 10" axial glide.

Allrightnow

New User
Blair
If you’re still looking, I have a Dewalt DW718 dual bevel sliding compound miter saw with the laser I need to sell. Was asking $225.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have used the Bosch GCM12SD with Bosch stand daily for probably 5 years. I fitted it with a 12" Forrest thin kerf blade (Thanks Jeremy Scuteri) and I have yet to encounter any issues with the saw what so ever. Straight, clean accurate cuts, 90, 45 degrees or where ever I set it. I use it in my shop but the stand will roll and travel. Is it heavy? you bet! but what good tools arent?. I've used alot of the others, and this one never fails to deliver. I have alot of really nice tools in my shop and this is one of the best for what it is.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a 12 inch non sliding Hitachi in the shop and a 10 in Pro Tech when I am away from the shop. The 12 inch will cross cut up to about 8 inches which handles a lot of my cross cutting. I have an old Ryobi RAS but i rarely use it any more. It is not too hard to deflect off line but can do a decent job. But dust collection is terrible. I would like to move the Hitachi around and use it outside the shop but it is too heavy. On a mobile stand, it and all the others should me manageable. The old Pro Tech is a cheapie but it cut almost all the trim for my house. I wasn't that far from my shop but I bought 16 foot pieces of trim and I don't have that much space on the sides of the 12. The Pro Tech in a simple stand (2x4 in a shop dog sawhorse with a platform for the saw and an outrigger each side) worked better.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
If anyone here is interested, I found a company called CFS that makes a bunch of add ons for dewalt saws. They make a wheel and handlebar kit for the big miter saw stands with the splayed legs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS