How to improve spray throughput? Floetrol additive, different product, or different equipment?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I used to spray with a Wagner gun meant for low powered compressors like I have. It worked when everything was just right but I had to wait on the tank to refill a lot. Flotrol helped and works better than water in my opinion. The finish dries more normally but it sprays better. Then I got a Fuji mini mite 3 stage. It sprays a much wider pattern than the Wagner ever did. I had to turn it down because it would drain the quart cup in just a couple minutes and I did not need that big a pattern. If I was spraying a lot of doors I would be slowed down by refills. I have not sprayed latex with it but I am sure it can with a bigger tip. It also atomizes the paint a lot better so it dries to a smoother finish. The biggest limitation is now my prep and spraying skills.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I'm no pro and know less than those who have responded but here is another take. Before I invested in a turbine system I would consider whether you would benefit from a better air compressor. If it would open benefits in other areas of your shop in addition to painting then I would invest in that first. If you could justify say a 5 hp, 80 gal unit, even used, then I would bite the bullet. The whole problem may improve and speed up with enough air supply.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I'm no pro and know less than those who have responded but here is another take. Before I invested in a turbine system I would consider whether you would benefit from a better air compressor. If it would open benefits in other areas of your shop in addition to painting then I would invest in that first. If you could justify say a 5 hp, 80 gal unit, even used, then I would bite the bullet. The whole problem may improve and speed up with enough air supply.
Hey Allan - appreciate that for in shop work, but that's not my issue. This question relates to spraying on a work site, so the solution needs to be portable.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You never did say specifically which product you were spraying on the doors. Maybe I missed it.

Henry, I added these in case you are considering buying a better HVLP spray unit. One has a gravity feed and the other has a siphon feed cup. They're both 3 stage HVLPs.

My Earlex 5000 is a siphon feed and it does well with most finishes but I've never tried it with latex paint.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Thanks Bob.

Agree on thinning. Floetrol won't help in the sense that it does not solve the fundamental rate issue? DO I understand you correctly?

Windsheild washer fluid? Water and wood alcohol (methanol?) isn't it? Would certainly thin paint - and likely a cheap source of impure lasohol if that what you want. I am not likely willing to want to do the experiments I'd need to do before I trusted that solution - unless I can read more on this.

What type of filter do you use prior to spraying latex? As course as a kitchen sieve or as fine as coffee filter? Or likely somewhere in between?
Yes, it’s all about the thinning. I use a Ford cup and shoot for 30 seconds when using a 1.3mm tip. That can take a ridiculous amt of thinning for thick latex paints.

Proclassic doesn’t seem to need as much thinning.

For painted project ps nowadays I pretty much go with Target Coating pigmented lacquer. The crosslinker can be added for kitchens, etc.

There are several YouTube videos on using ww fluid.

I use the standard cone filters car painters use. A good clue you’ve got it thinned right is the paint it should flow right through.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
You never did say specifically which product you were spraying on the doors. Maybe I missed it.

Henry, I added these in case you are considering buying a better HVLP spray unit. One has a gravity feed and the other has a siphon feed cup. They're both 3 stage HVLPs.

My Earlex 5000 is a siphon feed and it does well with most finishes but I've never tried it with latex paint.
Thanks for the links/reviews Jeff (sorry had wrong name there earlier).

I thought I had specified materials - but sorry I don't think I did. I was spraying SW ProClassic Latex Enamel.

Last edited:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Henry I upgraded last year to the Earlex 6002. I am very pleased so far. Still experimenting with the thinning numbers but its less than with the Spray-it gun which I have also. I also use Floetrol when I spray

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry I upgraded last year to the Earlex 6002. I am very pleased so far. Still experimenting with the thinning numbers but its less than with the Spray-it gun which I have also. I also use Floetrol when I spray
Dirk - thanks, it's good the know that this model turbine can handle latex (like ProClassic).
I'm not trying to spray houses or rooms, just doors and maybe trim.
I am happy with my SprayIt gun set up and Target Coatings products for furniture.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS