Hand plane score

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I bought a box of 9 planes today to add to the three I already had (my old Craftsman block plane not shown).

1598908635692.png

Left column:

Kunz Combination Concave/Flat Spoke Shave - The hold-down for the concave side is missing and a large washer replaced it. I think I can fab one up out of some kind of metal.

Parplus Metal Products #4 - I bought this one several years ago at an antique store for $15 and did my best at restoring it. It has some patina again and could use a little cleaning up.

"Made in USA" #4 - It's rough and missing its chip breaker and lever plate. I probably won't do anything with this one.

Stanley Handyman #5 - I bought this at Goodwill last winter for $11. It was pretty ugly. Getting it working was kind of fun and inspired me to look for a few other planes. I hope this isn't the start of some weird addiction.

Stanley Rabbet Plane #75 - Lots of "patina" but it's all there and looks like it will clean up nicely. I've never used one of these.

American Tool & Foundry 4" block plane - It's cute. I'll clean this one up too.

Right column:

"Made in USA" 6-1/2" block plane - Not sure what I'll do with this for now.

Millers Falls No. 16G-C 6" block plane - Or this.

Stanley #4 Corrugated bottom - This one has some patina but is in otherwise decent shape. I can see this one getting regular use.

Shelton #5 - It's a bit rough and not as hefty as the Stanley Handyman. It's missing its knob and the tote needs to be replaced.

Bailey #6 - Also has a broken tote. Needs TLC but I think will clean up nicely.

I bought all but the Parplus and the Handyman today in a big box. I don't know much about planes, but I think I'll learn as I work my way through these.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’ll wish you luck and if you have any questions please ask. As far as an addiction, well that’s a hard one to call. You are on your own but remember we are all apart of one 12 step program when it comes to tools.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I’ll wish you luck and if you have any questions please ask. As far as an addiction, well that’s a hard one to call. You are on your own but remember we are all apart of one 12 step program when it comes to tools.

My plan is to tackle the Stanley #75 first then the Stanley #4 then the Bailey #6. I'm thinking they'll be the most valuable/useful. Is that a correct assumption?

Flute Maker

Mike
User
That looks like a good score for you.I am not a hand plane guy...I love the looks and wish I could use one...Some arthritis...I might would get one but wouldnt know which one Id get for just doing a little piddling around
After a few minutes I thought of a need for one. I make flutes and sometimes I get some flute blanks which are warped. I could use a plane to remove enough of the warp to make the blank usable.My flute blanks are 1 1/2 by 1 1/2" by 34" I could take just enough off to level it out so I could use them...Ill start a seperate post on this also

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
My plan is to tackle the Stanley #75 first then the Stanley #4 then the Bailey #6. I'm thinking they'll be the most valuable/useful. Is that a correct assumption?
Sure that will teach you a lot.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I want to go shopping with you!
Great Score. And yes, it is the start of some strange addiction.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I restored some of these:

Before:
1599400675492.png

After:
1599400347984.png

Left column:

Kunz Combination Concave/Flat Spoke Shave - This was the rustiest piece and I still need to fab up a cover plate for the round part.

Parplus Metal Products #4 - No change except I sharpened the blade.

"Made in USA" #4 - I robbed the front knob for the Shelton #5. It fit perfectly. This one will go into the back of the junk drawer. Upon closer inspection, its stamped-metal frog is identical to the Parplus.

Stanley Handyman #5 - No change.

Stanley Rabbet Plane #75 - This one cleaned up nicely with a little paint and TLC.

American Tool & Foundry 4" block plane - It's not really very useful, but will make good decoration.

Right column:

"Made in USA" 6-1/2" block plane - Figured out this is a Stanley. I may get around to cleaning this.

Millers Falls No. 16G-C 6" block plane - Turned out nice.

Stanley #4 Corrugated bottom - This was in the best shape of all these planes. All I did was sharpen the blade.

Shelton #5 - This was a lot of work but turned out pretty nice. It has an odd adjustment system but cuts pretty well, but it just doesn't feel as good as the Stanley Handyman #5.

Bailey #6 - I glued the broken tote back together. You can see the line in the pic. The previous owner had just driven a screw into it that looked horrible. I filled the hole with a dowel. This cuts nicely but is heavy.

Mostly it was a lot of soaking in Evaporust, scrubbing, hand sanding, taping and painting, sharpening and reassembly. I tried to make them functional, not showpieces.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS