Need Input on mobile workbench design

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Hey guys,

I decided to get my tools up off the ground after seeing a design made from 2x4 and decided to make it out of 2x2 tubing instead with internal plumbing for dust collection going to an port on the back with blast gates between each tool. My thoughts on this design was being able to use the 55" table top as an outfeed for table saw and built-in router table. The end near the router will have double slotted standards so I could have an adjustable shelf to place different tools on depending on height needed, this way my planner/bandsaw could also use the tabletop as an outfeed. On the back side I was debating about the same adjustable shelf for a miter saw station or using fliup shelf brackets. The bottom drawer would be storage for my tracksaw rails and wood clamps, make the space below the router strickly for router bits, wrenches and secondary router.

I need some input on my design to make sure I am not forgetting something important, lastly should I go router lift or Triton? Currently I only own one cordless rigid router and was leaning towards a Jessem lift and bosch 1617 unless the Rigid 2202 router is better?

Attachments

• workbench.jpg
    workbench.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 167

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see you have a portable table saw on one end but a slot for the miter gauge on the other. I am guessing that is for the router. The outfeed table should have a slot for the table saw miter gauge as well.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
I see you have a portable table saw on one end but a slot for the miter gauge on the other. I am guessing that is for the router. The outfeed table should have a slot for the table saw miter gauge as well.

Your right, I forgot to allow slots for my cross cut sled and Miter gauge! Thank you. Also yes the other slot is for the router. Just got done welding the frame together this weekend, going to make the top next.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I would leave more of an overhang so you can clamp items to the top. Or maybe some T-track or Matchfit clamp slots to hold things down.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Don't use this kind of polyeurethane caster, over time the orange part will fall apart. You want something solid that wont deform.

reds-pinks-everbilt-casters-4120545eb-64_1000.jpg

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
These videos have some good ideas. I like the extra surface on the side to clamp work vertically like the English style workbench:

English workbench for reference:

1598278889865.png

It uses no vises, just dog holes, dogs and holdfasts.

The guy in the top video has done a comparison between the Mast-R-Lift II vs. the Triton:

Attachments

• 1598278668170.png
    1598278668170.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 93

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Hey guys sorry for the delayed reply.

I went through all the videos and suggestions and that it sparked a new idea for a second work bench. It's still a very rough idea and I am expecting criticism but that's how ideas become better, anyways the original thought was make the miter station a flip up shelf on the back side of the original bench and have a all in one but the problem with that was the saw would have required a 22" wide shelf which was causing me a headache trying to draft the around the electrical, dust collection and it would be combersome to always lift the miter out of the way. So I scrapped that idea after watching the videos provided by Martin and went off in the direction of making an assembly cart which will double as a miter station while not in use with the help of a couple of jigs.

The assembly cart I am planning on making it so it will magnetically attach to each other through the use of n45 neodymium magnets which will be recessed into the edges of the bench and will allow me a large work surface if needed or tool holders. The only hitch with this idea is having a level shop floor which thankfully mine is (mostly). Unfortunately I already used the polyurethane casters but I used rivet nuts to attach them so I can easily swap them out at a later date. I still need to draft in the miter slots for my table saw which ScottM pointed out but I didn't forget!

Lastly I made the overhangs 1.5" which will allow more room for clamping if needed and I removed all drawers from the drawings since storage is still up in the air.

Attachments

• Workbench combined 2.jpg
    Workbench combined 2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Workbench combined 1.jpg
    Workbench combined 1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Assembly cart 2.jpg
    Assembly cart 2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Assembly cart 1.jpg
    Assembly cart 1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Miter Jig.jpg
    Miter Jig.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 89
  • miter Jig bottom.jpg
    miter Jig bottom.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
That looks pretty cool, Scotty.

You can get leveling feet to address the floor issue.

1598364420577.png

1598364576342.png

Or even levelling casters:
1598364519186.png

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Hmm I thought about leveling casters but if I ever needed to move the smaller wheels would be a hassle trying to over over any rough surfaces. Maybe adding on a couple of leveling feet but not sure how difficult it would be to crank them up and down when the benches are loaded with tools. I could rig up a electrical lift at one end using a pair of linear acuators that I have sitting around but I'll worry about that at a later date, I have to get 2 benches built first before the visa bill comes in and my wife ends my shopping spree!

I ordered a Jessem lift, the box came damaged but the lift seemed ok until I put a dial indicator on it. The middle was .026" higher than the edges in some areas so I reached out to Jessem on Saturday, they got back to me on Monday and are sending a replacement top plate overnight from Barrie, Ontario. What exceptional customer service!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS