Disappointed with my sharpening service how to handle?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've been using them for years and the do a good job, but I just got my Forrest Dado King set back and it is so totally botched its ridiculous! Horribly uneven grooves. Needless to say I was totally PO'd.

I am going tomorrow to pick up another dado set I left off, an almost new Dadonator and now I'm wondering what I'm going to get back. I made a sample cut with the Forrest to show him.

Here's the thing - I've already sent it off to Forrest for repair. With shipping I'm expecting a $100 bill and a month to get it back.

My question is since I didn't give him a chance to redo it, should I expect a refund? He is a really nice guy but someone in that shop does not know how to sharpen a dado set!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Agree with Brian, in a future always use you phone camera and keep a photo record

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I made a test cut before I shipped it off which I'll show him tomorrow.

Forrest says their turnaround time for sharpening is 7-10 days and it's about $25-27.
Its $50 for a dado set plus return shipping and not including repairs. It cost me $27 to ship.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I made a test cut before I shipped it off which I'll show him tomorrow.

Pictures for us to see?

Its $50 for a dado set plus return shipping and not including repairs. It cost me $27 to ship.

I missed that but found it at the Forrest site. Repairs can add up quickly.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
This is an expensive hobby when those inevitable maintenance issues arise - many folks I speak to simply replace their Freud blades after getting the most out of them. The purist route with Forrest blades can be fraught with difficulties...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Send them to Dynamic saw instead of Forrest. Read the reviews of Dynamic Saw if you have any doubts about their services.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
How many hours do you folks get on a blade?

Mine seems to last forever, until I drop it and break a tooth. I have never achieved the same clean cut result once the blade is sharpened.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
How many hours do you folks get on a blade?

Mine seems to last forever, until I drop it and break a tooth. I have never achieved the same clean cut result once the blade is sharpened.

I always just buy a new replacement blade and be done with it. However, the Forrest dado set the the OP has is about $300 new.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I've been using them for years and the do a good job, but I just got my Forrest Dado King set back and it is so totally botched its ridiculous! Horribly uneven grooves. Needless to say I was totally PO'd.

I am going tomorrow to pick up another dado set I left off, an almost new Dadonator and now I'm wondering what I'm going to get back. I made a sample cut with the Forrest to show him.

Here's the thing - I've already sent it off to Forrest for repair. With shipping I'm expecting a $100 bill and a month to get it back.

My question is since I didn't give him a chance to redo it, should I expect a refund? He is a really nice guy but someone in that shop does not know how to sharpen a dado set!
Bob,

I am curious how much that set was used before sharpening?

I don't think I would wear out my dado set in one lifetime.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
The Dadonator was run into a screw other than that probably about every 3 years or so. Anyway, I took it home & test cut is perfect!!

Discussed the issue with the Forrest and they are super people. Understood why I sent it off. They cancelled the bill on the Dadonator plus an 80 tooth melamine blade. I tried to pay they wouldn't take my money.

So I think its the Forrest must be needing some repair. I picked and a WWII at an estate sale $20 for both had to give it a go I'm sure Forrest will get it fixed.

Might as well give them a plug Frank's Industrial Sharpening, Jacksonville, FL.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS