Tip: Pegboard standoff spacers on the cheap.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Mounting spacers for pegboard are expensive, just for little hunks of plastic. I just checked Amazon and saw $9.99 for a dozen and $17.99 for 24 sets with washers and screws. You could do the furring strips as standoffs thing, but that renders a lot of the holes in the pegboard useless.

I recently had occasion to revive a trick I figured out when I set up my current shop: For just $2-$3, a grey PEX riser line makes for perfect spacers with just a simple little jig to cut them to length. You can get over 50 half-inch spacers out of a 30-inch line. I had seen a similar jig for cutting dowels into plugs and just adapted the idea.

IMG_20200619_104740.jpg IMG_20200619_104813.jpg IMG_20200619_104838.jpg IMG_20200619_110151.jpg

Cheers,
Charles

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just ripped 3/4' x 3/4" strips and tacked them in place on the pegboard where the studs were, then screwed that to the wall with 3" screws. The strips cleared the hooks and I didn't lose any function on the board.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I did the same as Dennis, works great. Although i really wish there was a Menard closer, they have woodgrain pegboard....fancy

gritz

New User
Robert
Mounting spacers for pegboard are expensive, just for little hunks of plastic. I just checked Amazon and saw $9.99 for a dozen and $17.99 for 24 sets with washers and screws. You could do the furring strips as standoffs thing, but that renders a lot of the holes in the pegboard useless.

I recently had occasion to revive a trick I figured out when I set up my current shop: For just $2-$3, a grey PEX riser line makes for perfect spacers with just a simple little jig to cut them to length. You can get over 50 half-inch spacers out of a 30-inch line. I had seen a similar jig for cutting dowels into plugs and just adapted the idea.

View attachment 194650 View attachment 194651 View attachment 194652 View attachment 194653

Cheers,
Charles
I did a similar thing with scrap copper pipe. I marked the board front and back for ease of locating the holes. I hung the board with a chain on one end and it was pretty easy to work across a full sheet of pegboard one vertical line at a time. I left the screws loose and tightened them up across the whole span after all were set. My wingspan is over 6 feet, so YMMV.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
How do you hold them in place while you screw the board to the wall?
For the first few along the edges I just put them over the end of the screw and trap it against the wall. For some of the hard to reach areas I just cut a notch in the end of a long piece of thin stock and slide it up from the bottom until it's in position then put the screw tip through.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For the first few along the edges I just put them over the end of the screw and trap it against the wall. For some of the hard to reach areas I just cut a notch in the end of a long piece of thin stock and slide it up from the bottom until it's in position then put the screw tip through.
I suppose one could also use or make dowels that could be counterbored and hot glued into place.
As for pegboard, I was fortunate enough to be in a Lowe's one day when they were discontinuing the 'metallic' pegboard at ~$6/board. Got all I thought I would need.

Reactions: cpw

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS