Benchtop hollow Chisel limits

rusty

New User
Rusty
Can a benchtop model handle a 3/4" chisel?. Am using an old delta 17" floor DP, with 1/2 and 5/8 chisels.
Would like to use just a 3/4" chisel saves a lot of resetting, thanks.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I think most of them can accept a 3/4" chisel, but that's a pretty good size bite to take at once. It takes a good bit of pull to bring it down into the wood, especially if it's hardwood. If you plan on using a 3/4" chisel for most of your work, I would suggest a heavy duty, industrial model.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My Woodriver only came with a 1/2 in. as it's largest chisel. I assumed that they were telling me that 1/2 in. was the top size. I may be wrong and it would take a 3/4 in., but I think that would be pushing it. I tend to agree with Bill Clemmons even if your machine would accept that size it's going to be a bear to use.

Pop

rusty

New User
Rusty
So basically, use a 3/8 chisel for ease of use, and step over and in to get the length and width.
Any recomendations for a bench top model?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
So basically, use a 3/8 chisel for ease of use, and step over and in to get the length and width.
Any recomendations for a bench top model?

I have one that I haven't used in a long time. I would let it go for a reasonable price. PM me if interested. It is 1HP and I have chisels and bits to go with it up to 1" I believe. Might need some sharpening.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you don't take Fred up on his offer, then I would strongly recommend a model w/ an X-Y table. It allows you to clamp the work piece firmly and still move it left/right or front/back.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Have you tried drilling a center hole with the drill press to get rid of the bulk of the waste and then squaring the hole up using the chisel?

rusty

New User
Rusty
Bought a Rikon mortiser with XY table. Using 5/8" brad point drill then a 3/4" hollow mortice chisel.
I have the taytool 1/2" sharpening stones but cannot find one for 3/4 size.
Any suggestions?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS