Tried and True Varnish Oil

I am trying Tried and True stain and the Varnish Oil. I have put on thin coats of the varnish oil and rubbed and rubbed. It doesn’t seem that it will dry.

Anyone with experience with this product give me some pointers. Also when and if it dries can you put shellac or pure varnish over it.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Give it some time and it will dry. So, how long between coats? How long has it been setting and drying.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It’s a slow drying oil, and a little really goes a long way. Give it some time and it will dry. Rub it out every couple days and you’ll start to see the difference.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I am trying Tried and True stain and the Varnish Oil.

Which of the Tried & True products are you using?

The Tried & True Original Finish is about 80% polymerized linseed oil and 20% beeswax. The Tried & True Varnish Oil is >75% polymerized linseed oil and <25% proprietary resin.

Linseed oil is notoriously slow drying and weeps from the wood pores -----wipe and wipe and wipe some more!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use the Varnish Oil all the time. Leave it on about 30-45 minutes then wipe off the excess with rags or paper disposable rags (the blue ones). Be careful how you dispose of the rags as they will spontaneously combust if wadded up. Lay them flat somewhere until they dry or put in a sealed can.

I love Tried and True Varnish Oil as a finish - easy to put on and easy to repair if it gets scratched or dinged. It takes about 3 days in my environment to fully cure so give it some time. As I said wipe it on or use a sponge brush, let it set 30-45 minutes then wipe up any wet spots with rags. You may need a lot of rags. You can put on as many coats as you like. For tables I usually add some Oil Based Polyurethane to the top for extra protection. Something like General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil & Polyurethane. I usually thin that also so I can wipe or sponge brush it on.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I’ve used this a fair amount. You really have to use a small amount, wipe initially then come back a few times the same day to wipe it down. When that fails, i use 4-0 steel wool and then wipe it again and wait. I would think you could use shellac or oil based varnish over the T&T but I haven’t tried it. Test pieces would be good. I am not sure why you would want to cover the product since it has a resin that hardens.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS