Acacia

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Hello All,

Does anyone know where I can purchase some acacia in North Carolina? I had not heard of it until tonight when I had someone querie about a custom cutting board made from Acacia. I did a Google search for it and all of the places that I know to look to buy lumber don't have it listed for purchase.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Not in North Carolina, but Koa, Australian or south Pacific Koa are all part of the Acacia family. Pretty common here in Hawaii, kinda expensive, how much are you looking for ?

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Not in North Carolina, but Koa, Australian or south Pacific Koa are all part of the Acacia family. Pretty common here in Hawaii, kinda expensive, how much are you looking for ?
I don't know how large of a cutting board she is wanting but I want to see prices on it so I can give an estimate if I can get some

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hawaiian Koa runs about 75.00 bd ft super expensive The other types are are way cheaper. Other names Waddle, Cooba, Lancewood, Black Ironwood, Bendee Formosan Koa

Here is a link for some other types

Acacia – Cook Woods

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
a custom cutting board made from Acacia

Why was she interested in an acacia cutting board?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Just typed in acacia and it looks like HD sells acacia countertops. 4'x2'x1.5" for $219. Says it is made up of 3 to 5 boards glued together. I also read that it is a relative of mimosa which is a wood I am allergic to.

Roy G

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Why was she interested in an acacia cutting board?

She said that it was what she was used to

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Jatoba, like Acacias, is in the fabaceae family and shares the hardness of the best acacias, could be a viable substitute.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Monkeypod is also used a lot for the bowls Go (a Japanese game) stones are stored in. I had a pair of them until I gave the Go set to my nephew who was teaching his kids how to play. The bowls looked nice but I remember they seemed a little porous, like a coarse oak. Then again, I didn't have some kind of certificate or anything verifying they were actually monkeypod.

If they were genuine monkeypod I'd not want to use it for cutting boards unless it was sealed somehow to prevent them absorbing liquids.

Last edited:

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
We bought an outside table from Overstock.com that said it was made of acacia. I think it said it was made in Vietnam. After sanding the finish off (kind of looked like a dirty cherry) I was surprised to see the wood looked like the striking dark and light wood of hickory. But this wood was very soft and easy to sand. I finished it with BLO and paste wax and it looks great.
I've also turned a few bowls out of monkeypod and the contrasting dark and light colors are what make it one of my favorites.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We bought an outside table from Overstock.com that said it was made of acacia. I think it said it was made in Vietnam. After sanding the finish off (kind of looked like a dirty cherry) I was surprised to see the wood looked like the striking dark and light wood of hickory. But this wood was very soft and easy to sand. I finished it with BLO and paste wax and it looks great.
I've also turned a few bowls out of monkeypod and the contrasting dark and light colors are what make it one of my favorites.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS