Jet wet sharpener

JonB

Jon
User
I have a Jet wet sharpener (similar to the Tormek) that I've had for several years. I used it to sharpen turning tools and have since gone to a Wolverine system so I don't use the Jet anymore. The stone wheel cracked so I'll need to replace, I'm pretty sure the Grizzly or Tormek stone wheels would fit and there is also a CBN wheel that should fit. One of the issues with the Jet is with the stone running in water, the nut that holds the stone on rusts to the shaft. I'm trying to get the nut off, so far no luck so I'm thinking about cutting the nut off and running a thread chaser over the shaft to clean up the threads and get a new nut. The other option is to replace the shaft, the part is no longer available from Jet. Grizzly has a similar machine with a shaft available, looks the same in the picture but there are no measurements. It's only $12 so it's a minimal risk to try it. Anybody else have the Jet wet sharpener and run into this issue? I don't want to just have this machine sitting around, thought I could get it set up to run and sell it. The CBN wheels that are available run dry so there wouldn't be the rust issue in the future.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try heating the nut with a blowtorch and letting it cool down. Copious amounts of Liquid wrench will help afterwards. When reinstalling the nut - new or old - get some anti-seize compound at the auto parts store.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the same machine with the same problem. I was able to get it off with heat and PB Blaster. I installed a CBN wheel but still have the stone wheel. Mine has some problems with the motor - Do you want to sell yours for parts ??

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Penetrating oil: Acetone & Auto. transmission fluid 50:50.
Let sit 12 or so hours.
An air impact wrench works wonders for hammering loose a stuck nut.
Don't know about electric impact wrenches.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have the same machine and while the nut is rusty, I have had it on and off a couple of times without much issue.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My son is a mechanic. He laughed at my electric impact wrench. He then used it and to his amazement it was as strong as his air tool. These machines have come a long way in the last few years. Note: my wrench is corded. I don't know about battery units.

Pop

JonB

Jon
User
I have the same machine with the same problem. I was able to get it off with heat and PB Blaster. I installed a CBN wheel but still have the stone wheel. Mine has some problems with the motor - Do you want to sell yours for parts ??

Phil, I would be interested in selling it. I did get the nut off using heat and an air impact, I have another nut but the threads will have to be cleaned up and it will be good to go. I have the leather strop wheel and some jigs, it has the additional base with drawers, here's a picture before I took the wheel off.
20200510_132314.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil, I would be interested in selling it. I did get the nut off using heat and an air impact, I have another nut but the threads will have to be cleaned up and it will be good to go. I have the leather strop wheel and some jigs, it has the additional base with drawers, here's a picture before I took the wheel off.
View attachment 193932
I have the exact setup. On mine the shaft rusted so bad in the bearings that the shaft would not turn. I got it all freed up and installed a cbn wheel but now the motor is dying - not Jet's best for sure. How much do you want for yours?

JonB

Jon
User
Phil,
I'd like to get $100 for it.
If you put the CBN wheel on it you don't need water so there wouldn't be the rust problem. It's too bad they didn't make it with stainless steel arbor and hardware, the machine works well otherwise.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Years ago, I saw this tip in one of the WW magazines. Tip was to add a fitting to water tray, to which some flexible tubing could be added. Run flexible tubing to top of a soda with similar fitting. When using machine, elevate bottle so water fills tray. When finished, place bottle below water tray, allowing water to drain back into bottle.

ljones

New User
Larry
Penetrating oil: Acetone & Auto. transmission fluid 50:50.
Let sit 12 or so hours.
An air impact wrench works wonders for hammering loose a stuck nut.
Don't know about electric impact wrenches.
Kroil oil is the best product I have found for loosening rusted or corroded nuts, etc. As far as I know can only be bought online— Google it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS