Another chessboard

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Purple heart maple blood wood and sapele. Had a day off to get truck in the shop so why not spend the day wood dorking.
20200507_153030.jpg

Table will come later

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Looks as good as everything else I saw in your shop yesterday, meaning pretty darn good. Nice work. Appreciate the social distancing wood shop tour.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Fred, that looks really clean.

As for getting it done in a day, mind blown. I'd still be counting how many squares to make :) Would be fun to see you on a show like Survivor:
Tribe 1: OK, do we build a hut on the beach or further into the woods?
Tribe 2, with Fred: OK, the house is done, dining room set is in, where shall I put the patio furniture?

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I am with Bas... it's like you're the "Flash" of woodworking... would love to know how you make these, have you ever documented your process?
Anyway, it's great.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
It wouldn't surprise me if Fred pulled that off. I seem to remember students in Chesspy's weekend workshop making a set and they were mere mortals.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wonderful work as always Fred, you're my hero! And Happy Mother's Day to you too!:cool:;):D
Remembering Chesspy, I wonder what became of that couple? I sure enjoyed visiting with them and hope all is well wherever they may be.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
That is how it is done. Somewhat. I'll try to get progress pictures next time.

You have to remember to account for the wastage from the saw kerf when cutting the original strips to length.

Ask me how I know. No, actually don't.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You have to remember to account for the wastage from the saw kerf when cutting the original strips to length.

Ask me how I know. No, actually don't.
I cut the strips a couple inches long. 2 of the strips (1 of each color) are ripped A bit wider. these are the outside strips. while the glue dries I make up some other pieces. Then I cut one end square with a sled then the other end. Again leaving some extra. I then cut 2 strips a bit wider and the other 6 the size if the squares I'm making. Again these go to the out side. glue up the end grain strips and get a bite to eat. now to the drum sander to get one side flat. Then I use contact cement to glue the board to some substrate. Now I cut the board and substrate to size. board is now ready for the outer band and whatever details I want. After all of this is glued up I go back to the drum sander and get the top leveled. sand and finish done. I usually start with strips about 5/16" thick. when its all said and done the squares are 1/8-3/16" veneer. This board has 2" squares. I've done bigger and smaller. 4 or 5 hours and you are ready to wipen on some oil.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice - thanks for sharing and for sharing your process. Are you using ply for your substrate?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS