Hello from Holly Springs, NC

Bubbafat

New User
Rob
Hey all, new member here.

I've always did little projects around the house and helped friends do things like build fences or decks - but I'm new to woodworking. A much more experienced friend is helping me build a workbench (my design and materials, his tools and experience) - until then it's saw horses.

I'm originally from Minnesota and came to North Carolina (with a 7-year stop in North Dakota) back in 2005. My wife and I have 4 kids (18g, 21b, 23b, 25g) - until this whole covid-19 thing hit we were empty nesters for a glorious 6 weeks. 3 of 4 have moved home for now but things will get back to normal eventually ... right? :)

My immediate interests in woodworking (right now) center around three areas:
  1. Learn the fundamentals using traditional hand tools and basic power tools
  2. Acquire and restore, for use, older hand tools (anyone have any rusty Stanley planers?)
  3. Apply those tools and knowledge to ultimately design and make built-in shelves and cabinets for our home
I look forward to learning from you all!

Rob

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Welcome Rob - When this THING is over, 3rd Fridays we have a lunch in Cary - look for announcements here.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to the family Rob, happy to get to know you. You've landed in the middle of one of the greatest sites on the web--very nice, friendly people, with a vast knowledge of any and ail manner of woodworking, and many here will reach out to help, just ask.

Bubbafat

New User
Rob
Welcome to the family Rob, happy to get to know you. You've landed in the middle of one of the greatest sites on the web--very nice, friendly people, with a vast knowledge of any and ail manner of woodworking, and many here will reach out to help, just ask.

Honestly, I was very pleasantly surprised to search for “NC woodworking” on Facebook and find something better than people fighting about politics.

This looks like a great community of folks.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Honestly, I was very pleasantly surprised to search for “NC woodworking” on Facebook and find something better than people fighting about politics.

This looks like a great community of folks.
The 3 great topics for discussion, sex, politics, and religion are kinda discouraged, sorta keeps everyone's conversations amenable so everyone gets along. We talk about almost everything else under the sun, but having saw dust attached is the main topic. So jump right into the saw dust pile and have fun with the rest of us Rob!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome Bubbafat, this is a great group of people here. Always feel free to reach out to anyone of us should you have questions.

Bubbafat

New User
Rob
I lived in Minneapolis, Golden Valley, Detroit Lakes, and Moorhead. But my family is connected to Excelsior - my grand father built his home in Excelsior by hand.

But now the question that really matters: are you a Vikings fan?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I used to frame buildings with Jack Del Rio's Father does that count ?

I lived in Minneapolis, Golden Valley, Detroit Lakes, and Moorhead. But my family is connected to Excelsior - my grand father built his home in Excelsior by hand.

But now the question that really matters: are you a Vikings fan?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS