Help with router bit!!

lvparagod

New User
Roger
Hi there everyone!

I hope you all are enjoying this beautiful North Carolina day!

I need help with a router bit to as closely match or give a better edge to my great Grandmothers table. The leaves are trashed, so I need to make some new ones before we move. Also I want to refinish the top as it has gotten some abuse. Thank you in advance for your help!
20200503_114827.jpg
20200503_114827.jpg
20200503_114854.jpg
20200503_114929.jpg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Roger, can you put a piece of cardboard next to the profile and trace it out? That would give you the shape and then you could see what router bits would match up. You may need to use multiple bits and maybe some cuts on the table saw. It was probably made using a shaper with a specific cutter which may have been custom.

Roy G

lvparagod

New User
Roger
Roger, can you put a piece of cardboard next to the profile and trace it out? That would give you the shape and then you could see what router bits would match up. You may need to use multiple bits and maybe some cuts on the table saw. It was probably made using a shaper with a specific cutter which may have been custom.

Roy G
Good idea, thank you!

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
OK. It'll probably take two bits to do it. One type of bit to look for is called a thumbnail bit. That would do the top. And a simple roundover bit could do the bottom radius. And if you play your cards right, you might get by without having to run the roundover bit on the existing pieces.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Unless you make some sort of templet to follow a bearing or you can run it on a router table, youre not going to be able to just rerun that edge on there.

lvparagod

New User
Roger
OK. It'll probably take two bits to do it. One type of bit to look for is called a thumbnail bit. That would do the top. And a simple roundover bit could do the bottom radius. And if you play your cards right, you might get by without having to run the roundover bit on the existing pieces.
I am looking at Amana bits, I see the thumbnail, I found one pretty close to this shape, but with a little bead detail at the top, I do believe I will get this one.

Attachments

• 20200503_131945.jpg
    20200503_131945.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 142

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
From the picture it looks like veneer which introduces a whole set of problems. If the leaves will only be used occasionally, you could get away with a round over and a table cloth.

lvparagod

New User
Roger
From the picture it looks like veneer which introduces a whole set of problems. If the leaves will only be used occasionally, you could get away with a round over and a table cloth.
It is solid wood. About 60 years old. Just in need of some help.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Since you are in Pfafftown I would take that drawing down to Klingspor in Winston-Salem and see if they could help you come close to that profile. They've got an excellent selection of router bits.

lvparagod

New User
Roger
Since you are in Pfafftown I would take that drawing down to Klingspor in Winston-Salem and see if they could help you come close to that profile. They've got an excellent selection of router bits.
I took the leaves, and nothing. When I was the woodworking expo last fall, I spoke with the Amana rep, and he said Klingspor can order any other their bits. SO I going there tomorrow to order the bit. I spend way too much money in that place!! :D:D:D

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Hi there everyone!

I hope you all are enjoying this beautiful North Carolina day!

I need help with a router bit to as closely match or give a better edge to my great Grandmothers table. The leaves are trashed, so I need to make some new ones before we move. Also I want to refinish the top as it has gotten some abuse. Thank you in advance for your help!View attachment 193625View attachment 193625View attachment 193626View attachment 193627

Might want to check out Whiteside 3292 table edge bit, looks pretty close

Attachments

• CC4B9112-9F8D-473D-8520-7B79851C950C.jpeg
    CC4B9112-9F8D-473D-8520-7B79851C950C.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 119

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS