Another Maloof based quarantine rocker.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
QSRO with walnut dowels. One coat of oil so far. Will get better pics after finish is complete.

Attachments

• DSC03146.JPG
    DSC03146.JPG
    795.9 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC03147.JPG
    DSC03147.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 173
  • DSC03148.JPG
    DSC03148.JPG
    774.2 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC03151.JPG
    DSC03151.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 167
  • DSC03152.JPG
    DSC03152.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 163
  • DSC03153.JPG
    DSC03153.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 155

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
How tough was it shaping red oak? I have only been brave enough to build Maloof style chairs from Walnut, Cherry and soft maple.
Shamrock made a rocker with Jotoba and I recall it was very difficult.
My latest Stickley piece with Maloof inspiration used Sapele and it was relatively easy to shape

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
How tough was it shaping red oak? I have only been brave enough to build Maloof style chairs from Walnut, Cherry and soft maple.
Shamrock made a rocker with Jotoba and I recall it was very difficult.
My latest Stickley piece with Maloof inspiration used Sapele and it was relatively easy to shape

I can't compare working with RO since all three I 've made are out of RO, although one had a headrest and seat which were walnut. I've heard complaints of RO splitting or chipping but I guess I got lucky. I will add that although the wood was from the same tree there is some "chatoyance" (I figured I would use the new NCWW word of the day which Bob V. provided) ;) I'll hope to try some nice QSC and QSWO which is still drying. But for now it's QSRO.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautifully done! What are you doing with all the rockers? I hope your new sander is helping with the shaping.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Beautifully done! What are you doing with all the rockers? I hope your new sander is helping with the shaping.
Gifts, 1st was for my daughter in law, second for my brother who has his first grandkid arriving Sep and the latest is for my wife, although she rarely slows down enough to sit. And yes, I really enjoy using the sander.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I keep going back to this just to enjoy the pictures.
It does make my arthritic hands hurt a little when I think of all of that hand sanding and shaping that's required.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I keep going back to this just to enjoy the pictures.
It does make my arthritic hands hurt a little when I think of all of that hand sanding and shaping that's required.
Mr. Arthur hangs out around here but the look on the recipients faces make the hands feel better for awhile.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS