Crepe Myrtel Tree coming down- offering some of it up.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I have a 35 year old Crepe Myrtel that is coming down this weekend ( I think today, but possibly tomorrow) and want to offer up some of the wood to those who may be interested. The three is over 20 ft tall and has thick twisty limbs in some places. Its definitely not one of those that has been chopped up every year.

I will be keeping a few chunks for turning but the majority can probably be had for a fair price.

Let me know if interested. I hear the limbs are great for cane makers!

20200418_121925.jpg20200418_121934.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wrong time of year unless you intend to split the limbs into quarters. The sap has already risen and as it dries it will split wide open. I harvested some at Dan’s home a couple years ago. Painted the ends, kept it dry, let it dry slowly, it went well for a couple weeks the one day it all exploded. Split from end to end, every piece of it.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Wrong time of year unless you intend to split the limbs into quarters. The sap has already risen and as it dries it will split wide open. I harvested some at Dan’s home a couple years ago. Painted the ends, kept it dry, let it dry slowly, it went well for a couple weeks the one day it all exploded. Split from end to end, every piece of it.
Oh well. GUess it will be firewood. Has to come down for new deck to go up.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
my only suggestion is to make CERTAIN you remove the root ball and dig all around the root ball to get every peice out of the ground. After that, I would still cover the spot with black plastic. Otherwise, you WILL get new CM shoots poking up through your deck. Crepe Myrtles are difficult to get rid of.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
my only suggestion is to make CERTAIN you remove the root ball and dig all around the root ball to get every peice out of the ground. After that, I would still cover the spot with black plastic. Otherwise, you WILL get new CM shoots poking up through your deck. Crepe Myrtles are difficult to get rid of.
I have a guy coming to grind the root up to 6 feet out from the center mass. Hopefully that will do it. How long do I cover the space with plastic for? Permanently? I already have the CM shoots showing in my grass, so this is one more reason to kill it

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Cut the thing down near ground level and paint the stubble with full strength glyphosate straight from the bottle.

The limbs and branches can be sent to the dump or your burn pile.

awldune

Sam
User
Cut the bigger pieces into quarters and see how it goes. You may get some small flat pieces that are usable. Not really recommended for turning, even spindles.

Billm0066

Bill
User
Cut the thing down near ground level and paint the stubble with full strength glyphosate straight from the bottle.

The limbs and branches can be sent to the dump or your burn pile.

I did this with a crepe myrtle where my shed is now and it hasn’t come back at all. Full strength glysophate and lots of it.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I have a guy coming to grind the root up to 6 feet out from the center mass. Hopefully that will do it. How long do I cover the space with plastic for? Permanently? I already have the CM shoots showing in my grass, so this is one more reason to kill it
If your deck is going to be built over it, I would cover it and forget it.....at least until sometime next summer (or later or never) you see the plastic under your deck and think "I can probably get rid of that plastic now".

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
If your deck is going to be built over it, I would cover it and forget it.....at least until sometime next summer (or later or never) you see the plastic under your deck and think "I can probably get rid of that plastic now".
The deck is raised up 9 feet as there is a patio space below it. I'll just have the stump grinder guy really go to town on the area, I'll spray with glyphosphate when done, along with preen, and then let grass grow in over the next feew months!

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
The stump grinder guy may not want to grind too far into the ground. When I helped a neighbor get rid of his crepe myrtle, we dug around it really well and then wrapped a chain around it and pulled it out of the ground with my truck. We didn't try to snatch it out like these guys: Car/Truck Versus Stump Fails but pulled, backed up, loosened dirt, pulled, backed up, loosened dirt.......until we were able to ease it out.

Billm0066

Bill
User
The deck is raised up 9 feet as there is a patio space below it. I'll just have the stump grinder guy really go to town on the area, I'll spray with glyphosphate when done, along with preen, and then let grass grow in over the next feew months!

Make sure its full strength and not round up or a weed killer. You want the one you are supposed to dilute before use.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS