Lower Shelf (kitchen prep table)

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hi all - Seems like a stupid question, BUT, I know this is the place to get an answer. I am trying to figure out the most elegant way to add a lower shelf to a small kitchen prep table I am building for some friends. They are pretty set on their dimensions, I drew it up as follows, but the lower shelf isn't wide enough at 10" , the way I have it drawn, and they'd like it to extend past the legs, as shown on their current prep table. I am personally just not a fan of the "notch (for lack of better word) that allows for the shelf to sit around the legs. I thought about just going wide enough to sit inside the legs, attaching via front and back apron, but then what about the side stretcher, would just be sitting there oddly? or should I turn the H around so the two stretchers are connected in the middle?

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_110238044.jpg
    IMG_20200409_110238044.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Render.png
    Render.png
    368.5 KB · Views: 201

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Is it too late to mount the side stretcher to the inside face of the legs? Then the shelf would be supported by the stretcher instead of the stretcher being exposed "oddly". Or you could learn to love the "notch". It does serve a couple of purposes given the narrow dimensions of the table. Especially if your stretcher is already fit as shown in the rendering.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Is it too late to mount the side stretcher to the inside face of the legs? Then the shelf would be supported by the stretcher instead of the stretcher being exposed "oddly". Or you could learn to love the "notch". It does serve a couple of purposes given the narrow dimensions of the table. Especially if your stretcher is already fit as shown in the rendering.

Nothing too late at this point, everything can be changed, I haven't even purchased the material. Are you referring to having the shelf sit on the stretchers between the front legs, if I built it that way? I was also thinking that, still doesn't look as good to me, but I guess it solves the problem of not enough shelf space. Would I do the lower stretchers like this, then (This is what I was referencing in the first post, just a terrible description of such. LOL).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 8.03.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 8.03.11 PM.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 8.02.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 8.02.59 PM.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 154

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I think the client was right about needing a deeper shelf. I'd suggest that in your revised sketch that the streachers be more like 3/4" x1" and that the side ones be mortised into the legs so that they are nearly invisible. What's the rod for? If it's for towels I'd suggest putting one on each end to keep them out of the way and will make the piece better looking in use. If for hanging pans, make sure the center of gravity isn't too far forward or a kid will tip it over, in fact, it will be so used with any adventurous kid to hang on.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I think the client was right about needing a deeper shelf. I'd suggest that in your revised sketch that the streachers be more like 3/4" x1" and that the side ones be mortised into the legs so that they are nearly invisible. What's the rod for? If it's for towels I'd suggest putting one on each end to keep them out of the way and will make the piece better looking in use. If for hanging pans, make sure the center of gravity isn't too far forward or a kid will tip it over, in fact, it will be so used with any adventurous kid to hang on.

Yeah, definitely makes sense, I will have to mock that up quickly, but I do like the fact the lower stretcher be almost invisible. I do think a wider lower shelf is necessary, I may even bump the top overhang from 1.5" to 1.25" just to get slightly more space underneath.

The rod is in fact for towels, that is a requested design feature I had no say in. Their current table has one, in the same fashion, they want the towel rod the same way. This table is pretty similar in style to their current table, just will be built to fit the space much better. Also, they wanted a white painted base, natural maple tops. Old table is all made of wood you see in the legs, not entirely sure what it is. The table fits between a wall and the fridge, so they didn't want side towel rods.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Quickly took a look through some woodsmith articles, and it looks like fitting the lower shelf in a dado is a popular way of doing it, granted, I didn't spend a ton of time searching through articles. I think I would prefer Johns method, if I am understanding it correctly. I am going to draw up a few different iterations.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.09.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.09.33 PM.png
    411.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.06.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.06.21 PM.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 137

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The table fits between a wall and the fridge, so they didn't want side towel rods.

It's their design so you should make it that way even if you're not a fan of some parts of it. There's nothing wrong with an exposed apron in the front but you could move it back in your "H" pattern .

Ste6168.jpg
Ste6168.jpg
Ste6168.jpg
Ste6168.jpg
Ste6168.jpg
Ste6168.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS