Belt Disc Sander

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Robert
I have an floor stand version of this - mine is a generic model, likely from Grainger. I use mine a lot - anything from sharpening my turning tools for the lathe, to multiple sanding tasks for furniture and boxes. Mine is 9" disc and a 6x48" belt . Before I got mine, I wondered how much I'd use it - and for the type of WW I do, these tools are very useful. I have had mine for 20 years now and aside from occasionally changing belts or discs, all I have needed to do is replace the on/off switch.

But watch your local Craigslist (or other 'used tools for sale' platform), as these tools come up for sale with some regularity (as least in RDU are that is true). I have have re-posted these tools more than a few times here on NCWW. If you have time, then that's what I'd recommend. Most I see are in the $75-150 range for what I suspect is a better tool than the PC tool you linked above.

BKHam

Bradley
User
the disc sander has positives and negatives. the circular motion means it sands faster on the outside vs inside. i think you'll find that disc sander doesnt help you very much.

the vertical belt sander will probably be nice. CL has a sanders pretty regularly.

i recently bought horizontal edge sander. the force of the sander does not hold the workpiece down. i think that the vertical has an an advantage for some things because of it. you could take a large box to it and like a bandsaw, the force of the machine holds the piece in place.

that particular machine may not be right but i think the vertical sander is going to make your work more enjoyable.

Jim Roche

New User
jim
If you find that the belt sander fits the bill for your use better, I've seen guys take a portable belt sander and turn it upside down and mount it in a bench vise on their workbench and use it like that. Might save you a few dollars if you already have a belt sander.

Good Luck,
Jim

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I bought one of the Ridgid oscillating edge/belt spindle sanders a few months ago off of facebook marketplace and I highly recommend it. I don't use my disc/belt sander anymore after I got this (I had the WEN 6" disc 4x36" belt sander).

The ridgid sanders usually go for 100-150 on CL or FB marketplace, depending on condition (and the buyer's desire to get rid of it)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought one of the Ridgid oscillating edge/belt spindle sanders a few months ago off of facebook marketplace and I highly recommend it. I don't use my disc/belt sander anymore after I got this (I had the WEN 6" disc 4x36" belt sander).

The ridgid sanders usually go for 100-150 on CL or FB marketplace, depending on condition (and the buyer's desire to get rid of it)
If you do get the Ridgid oscillating sander, make yourself a 1" MDF riser plate to go on the table. Most people seldom use more than the bottom 1" of the belt and even turning it over doesn't get the full use of the belt.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
I have a Delta one similar to the model in your link. Only a 1" belt, but that was perfect for my original use (custom built golf club shop). The disc is 5". I used it just last night to ease corners and slightly reduce the thickness of a slide in box top I am working on. I also have a floor model over in my father's old shop. Can't wait to get it moved here.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I subscribe to the buy once, cry once. Harbor Freight tools are not on my shopping list. Not being uppity mind you, just dont shop there for tools.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I subscribe to the buy once, cry once. Harbor Freight tools are not on my shopping list. Not being uppity mind you, just dont shop there for tools.
Not a problem. I have gotten burned also but I have gotten the tool I need at a good price and it served my limited use needs without going broke.

George

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Not a problem. I have gotten burned also but I have gotten the tool I need at a good price and it served my limited use needs without going broke.

George

Agreed!! I've done the same thing, and once I found that I needed the tool more than I thought, I upgraded to a better tool. I figure I got my money's worth out of the H-F tool, and sent it on to another new woodworker that needed a start, usually as a free tool. There are some tools I knew I would use a lot, so bought best I could at the time, others, well cheap and see how it goes. My belt disc sander that I use now is a replacement of one of the cheap ones, and I didn't know how much I would use it until I started. Box joints were the project I was working on, and now I make so many I needed a better tool.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I've had a belt and disc sander in my shop for over 50 years and use it frequently. It isn't a precision tool by any means, but it's useful for so many things I will always have one, or at least as long as I can still stand up and drink coffee, then walk out to the shop.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I trim my box joints flush using a flush cutting bit in my router table. I tape a piece of scrap to the side of the box that will be down against the table, to prevent the un-cut pins that are pointing down from tilting the box off level. With the bearing of the flush cutting bit riding a little above the pins to be cut flush I can get a pretty smooth trim. Use care to keep the bit from grabbing. After all pins have been trimmed flush, I then sand the box sides to smooth and blend the surfaces together. Perfect results every time. When done this way only a light sanding with my ROS is needed.

Charley

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
There are HF tools that are poor and then there are HF tools that are great. Their dust collector is an outstanding example,. You've got a bag, filter bag and motor. I have yet to hear a complaint about the motor. My son's set up puts a Dust Deputy in upstream of the DC. He's been running this rig for several years and has yet had enough stuff in the HF machine to empty the lower bag. The Dust Deputy gets it all. So who's to worry about the high particulate coming through the upper HF bag. I'll admit that there's no way a HF $29.95 battery drill is going to compete with a DeWalt or Bosch. A moving dolly on the other hand is a dolly and what's the difference? My point is that HF stuff isn't bad if you watch which products you buy. Ask around you'll find out the sheep from the goats. :cool:

Pop

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Now that I've run my mouth about HF tools let me address the real topic. My 12 in. disc sander is a Woodcraft. My 1/2 in. strip sander and my 6 X 48 in, belt sander are Shopsmiths. These tool are designed to be used with the Shopsmith machine are stand alone. I have built cabinets with separate motors for each. I have been around Shopsmiths for many years. I have served as a mentor for these machines for a good many years. Their equipment is over priced, and some things (there scrollsaw for example) are not outstanding. When I retired 20+ years ago I bought the wold nine yards. 520 machine, bandsaw, jointer, speed increaser, speed reducer, routing/ shaper setup, dust collector, belt sander and strip sander. At this time my main machine is my drill press (both horizontal & vertical). It's a great drill press, but not worth the price to only use it as such. I hate sanding as many of you also do. SO! in my shop I have almost every sander known to mortal man. The list is long and maybe some day I put it on line. I've said all this because these Shopsmith sanders are well made and show on CL or E Bay from time to time. it's a way to get a very good machine at a good price. :D

Pop

Skymaster

New User
Jack
EDGE sander is what you want REALLY
Ridgid EB4424 Sander, Oscillating/Edge Belt
I am NOT recommending this one but you will get the drift. This might even do what you need, but there alot better machines out there

wooduser

New User
Lecil
Just received a Woodcraft sale add and they the Rikon version on sale for $169.99 in the ad and listed at196 on line. The Raleigh store claims to have a few, check before you go.

Lecil

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS