Jefferson book stand

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Here's one that can be bought for $560, but that's no fun. Also here's the link to Dave's SketchUp model. Between that and run/pausing/rerunning/pausing Roy Underhill's video the construction details become more understandable.

I haven't found specific plans online though. I'm struggling with how to do the "lazy susan" details of the 2 bottom boards in Dave's pic above to rotate the bookstand. Any thoughts? Alternatively, Rockler has lazy susan hardware that's affordable.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I don't think Jefferson went to Rockler to get a lazy Susan for his. As I recall, his swivels on the round central shaft--the top being rounded--and perhaps it sits on a heavily oiled piece of leather that is sandwiched between the base and the bottom of the box. Oiled leather would have been a common thing back in those days. Probably lubricated with beef tallow which could easily be refreshed with the stub of a candle.

Jimbo

James
User
I made two of these a few years back, with the intention of having one be gift worthy. My daughter was graduating from the University of Virginia and so I was following the little known rule that gifts must have a Jeffersonian theme... I used 8/4 mahogany and bookmatched all the panels; also went with lazy susan hardware for the base. My avatar photo show me on "completion day", and here's a pic of the one I kept.
IMG_1478.JPG
Jim

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ha! I don't think that he got his lazy susan at Rockler either. Monticello is about 156 miles from me so maybe I should make a road trip up there this summer and examine it first-hand.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Jim. I may send a PM if I decide to try one.

I made two of these a few years back, with the intention of having one be gift worthy. My daughter was graduating from the University of Virginia and so I was following the little known rule that gifts must have a Jeffersonian theme... I used 8/4 mahogany and bookmatched all the panels; also went with lazy susan hardware for the base. My avatar photo show me on "completion day", and here's a pic of the one I kept.
View attachment 192338
Jim

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Would be interesting to see how the dimensions he has compare to the ones I was working from when I did the models years ago.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Would be interesting to see how the dimensions he has compare to the ones I was working from when I did the models years ago.

Roy's plans date from 2008 and I think that they're copyrighted. His panels for the books are 1/2" thick and the breadboard end caps are 1.25" wide, but I'm drawing mine at 2"w.

Curious, where did you get your dimensions? I started with a seat-of-the-pants 12" cube book stand from the Monticello website but that doesn't include the lazy susan base (2 pieces). I also found this one on Etsy with some overall dimensions (12" cube x 26" high).

Etsy:Jefferson stand.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
It's been ten years or more since I modeled it and don't recall the source of the dimensions. The easels are all 12 in. wide and the side ones are 9 in. tall overall. Not nearly as much of a gap between the base and bottom of the box, though. The one in your Etsy link looks a bit crude compared to Jefferson's and a little taller than his.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I did a model of it about a decade ago. Interesting project. Room for five different iPads. :D

Did you do an article on this before? or a video? Always looking for cool new content to add to the website, and SketchUp is always something that interests people.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Hi Scott, years ago I did a video showing my workflow for modeling it in SketchUp. I'd need to go back to and see if it's still around. Probably not what you were thinking of, though. I might have to do an updated version since I would model it differently now.

d

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Hi Scott, years ago I did a video showing my workflow for modeling it in SketchUp. I'd need to go back to and see if it's still around. Probably not what you were thinking of, though. I might have to do an updated version since I would model it differently now.

d
Might still be worth posting.. and we can link it directly to your YouTube page if thats where you have it stored!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS