Pyrography

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
As you may have seen in a previous post, I am currently recovering from some surgery (doing well). Since I have to limit my lifting, high heart rate, etc., for a few weeks, I decided to try something that I could do while sitting on my butt ;). I have toyed around with pyrography in the past, but nothing very serious.

Back in November, a friend and I went trout fishing at Holden Beach...very successful trip! While cruising down the intracoastal waterway to the Lockwood river I took this picture.

IMG_20191210_090700.jpg

I burned it on birch plywood and made a black walnut frame.

shrimp fleet.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Preston, that is great work while sitting on your butt. Keep it up!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Superb work! I'm sure many are curious about how you transferred the image -- your result with all of the detail including the sea gull is impressive!

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
BB Beyond Beautiful. The grain of the wood is perfect for the image, was it hard to find or did someone just throw a piece in your lap?:)

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Superb work! I'm sure many are curious about how you transferred the image -- your result with all of the detail including the sea gull is impressive!

I printed two black and white copies of the picture; one to transfer the image and one to use as a reference.

I tried carbon paper which does not erase, then graphite paper which erased better but was still difficult (maybe I chose the wrong graphite paper). I finally made my own graphite paper by rubbing a carpenter's pencil (nice wide lead) on plain white paper. This worked the best as it erases very easily. It will produce some smudges if you inadvertently rub it with your hand but as I said it erases very easily.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
BB Beyond Beautiful. The grain of the wood is perfect for the image, was it hard to find or did someone just throw a piece in your lap?:)

It was left over from a previous project. Guess my luck is still running, which is why I bought raffle tickets:D

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Here I am toying with the idea of trying pyrography on some of my turnings, and you post a beautiful burning that's out-of-this-world. I may just hang up my pen.

Pop

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Wow. This has gotten out of hand. Since my initial burning (shrimp boats), I have completed 11 more projects, mostly for friends and family. I've even tried burning on heavy paper which is a bit more challenging. Here is one for my son that I did on paper (140 wt. card stock)

IMG_20200419_111942.jpg

And one on birch for a friend who is an avid crappie fisherman.

IMG_20200331_135642.jpg

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Wow! Your work is incredible! I bought a wood burner at the Klingspor Extravaganza a couple of years ago and had plans to get the practice in so my burnings don't look like chicken scratch but somehow other projects keep jumping out in front of that. Maybe some day.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS