Coasters split and I don't know why.

spartyon8

Peter
User
I had some left over pieces from some cutting boards that i thought would make nice coasters. I ripped them to 1/4” on my bandsaw. I went to sand the first one and it split along the glue line of the padauk and purple heart. It was a clean split and a tight glue line. As this stumped me, I decided to glue the halves (2 coasters into 1) back together and it did the same thing but this time it split along a clean glue line on one half and tore through the middle of the other half of padauk. Any ideas as to why? Now my small cutting boards have me worried that they will split too!

Attachments

• D05CF369-26CC-4EE0-93F3-4F2142446A55.jpeg
    D05CF369-26CC-4EE0-93F3-4F2142446A55.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Somewhat oily wood, wipe with DNA first. What kind of glue did you use and how old was it?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Years ago I had a problem with a turning project. It kept coming apart on the lathe. I don't remember the wood type, but one was an oiley wood. At the time I didn't know about the cleaning process before gluing. Someone eventually shed light on my problem it works.

Pop

spartyon8

Peter
User
Another potential issue is the temp of the stock and glue. Below 50f is a problem.

My “shop” is our basement garage. It hovers around 50*. I always thought above freezing was fine. I will try to bring glue ups inside from now on. Thanks for that tid bit of info.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Peter,

I hope you’ll follow up on this post.

I don’t know what is causing the splits, so I’m very interested in what the outcome is.

spartyon8

Peter
User
Peter,

I hope you’ll follow up on this post.

I don’t know what is causing the splits, so I’m very interested in what the outcome is.
I will try. I am not making anymore coasters but I did a new glue up on a cutting board and some of those joints don’t look like they held. Time to resaw and do a new glue up.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member

Good info, I've got a gallon jug of Titebond 2 half used approaching 2 years old, wonder if I should replace it just to be safe. Always stored inside house.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
That’s very strange. I recently made a chessboard / box with Padauk and walnut and maple but I had no problems with glued laminations. I did notice by feeling the padauk that it was oily but never had any issues. I used new glue though and my glue had never frozen or anything.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Glue problems can sneak up on you. I bought a gallon of Tire-bond to save money. The half that turned to cheese wasn't going to glue much together. My first bottle of polyurethane glue was used once and when opened again to use was found to have become a solid block.

Roy G

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Good info, I've got a gallon jug of Titebond 2 half used approaching 2 years old, wonder if I should replace it just to be safe. Always stored inside house.
On the flyer I posted above there is a section on interpreting the date code.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS