Knew Concepts saw

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have considered purchasing one of these saws as many of you have said they are wonderful.

The question is, which one?
the 3 inch, the 5 in, one with rotating blade - SO many choices...

Right now I am looking at the 3" Mark III saw with lever tension - but I am curious, if I will miss not having the rotation option...
Does anyone know if I can purchase parts later and convert it or am I stuck and have to buy a new saw if I want that option?
(message sent to Knew Concepts as well, but I appreciate the NCWW "Hive mind"!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Hank, I don't have any experience with the Knew saw, but when I use a coping saw I frequently have to rotate the blade, like when I am cleaning out dovetails. I would think that function is pretty essential, you may have other thoughts.

Roy G

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Question, are you looking to do fret work, or are just wanting it for cutting out dovetail waste?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the 5" with rotating blades - really love it. Rarely need the extra two inches but if you do then you do.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Question, are you looking to do fret work, or are just wanting it for cutting out dovetail waste?
Thinking of it for dovetails, but also, if it is actually as great as everyone says - I would use it for other work too.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a highly overpriced coping saw. 10 bucks and it rotates ;) ;) :) :) :oops::oops:
I have always thought it was over priced, but so many people said how much they enjoyed using it.
I dread when I pull-out my eclipse because I know I am in for a lot of "Fixing" after I make a cut with it!
Also, I saw the price of the Blue spruce coping saw and the Knew Concepts was comparatively "cheap"!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
BTW - Brian at Knew concepts responded today and said "if it is a Mk3, then yes, the Mk3 upgrade clamps will work, and upgrade it to a swivel model Mk3. "

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Try upgrading your blades first, then if you still have problems cutting where you want come see me for a day.

After that if you just have a wad of cash you need to throw away then...OK buy a new saw.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try upgrading your blades first, then if you still have problems cutting where you want come see me for a day.

After that if you just have a wad of cash you need to throw away then...OK buy a new saw.
Tried Olsen and Pegas but the saw frame is not strong enough as the blade seems to bend in the cut.
But I am open to the suggestion that there is operator error...

Robb Parker

Robb
Corporate Member
Have used the Knew Concepts large coping saws for 10 years or better. Have 3 of them on my trucks and trailers. Can't imagine going back. We use them for coping architectural trim installations. Frames are as rigid as the day purchased. Their blades are the best made also, not too pricey either. I have no experience with the rotating blades or fret saws. Would purchase again in an instance.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am with Robb. The frames are so strong which keeps the blade tensioned correctly and cutting where you expect.

I do not remember where I bought mine, but it was less $ because it does not have a lever for tension nor does the blade rotate. I seem to remember around $60 for the base model I use mine mostly for cutting out dovetail waste. I can easily cut to within 1/16 of the line. My 8" model will cut out waste on a 16" wide board

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The mk3 with a 5" frame is what I have with the all the bells and whistles and it works fine. I don't remember what I paid for it but I just looked at the pricing on their web page and it's priced a $105.00 at present. For general work including dovetails that is the one that is recommended. That being said, I can cut the waste out of my dovetails with my coping saw just fine, but I do like the other for fret work and such.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Just my 2 cents. I have the 5 in. rotating blade. Havnig a rotating blade has been great. It makes the depth of the throat somewhat irrelevant since when you rotate the blade, you can work as deep as you need to. It's terrific for dovetails and saves me a lot of time cleaning up.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you have gobs of cash, you might consider donating it to the "Casey Needs The Bucks" charity o_O :p

Looking at that I might try and make it. I think I can, be fun to try.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS