Sketchup Suggestion

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm intentionally posting this message in the General group to increase the likelihood that non-Sketchup users will see it. If you are not a user, if you are interested in using or learning Sketchup, and if you are even remotely as much of a fan as I am of Matthias Wandel, you should take a look at these old videos he did on Sketchup. Granted, he's using a very old version, but most of the techniques are the same, and certainly it helps to understand some of the program's idiosyncrasies.

Unfortunately, unless something has changed, the free stand-alone version (Make) is no longer available, and the publisher has removed Sketchup Make 15's access to the database of models (3D Warehouse), but it's still a useful program. I'm still using 15 because 17 changed its use of video drivers, and I can't start it remotely through Windows Remote Desktop. Matthias is using Version 8.

Matthias Wandel's Sketchup Tutorials

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Jay Bates also does a good job of explaining the functionality of Sketchup. I can't link to the video but I'm sure searching on his site you should be able to find the video(s).

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Sketchup Make 17 (standalone) is still available for download. Go to the Sketchup website, follow the links to the help page, and search on 'older versions'. I just downloaded it yesterday.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Sketchup Make 17 (standalone) is still available for download. Go to the Sketchup website, follow the links to the help page, and search on 'older versions'. I just downloaded it yesterday.
"I'm still using 15 because 17 changed its use of video drivers, and I can't start it remotely through Windows Remote Desktop."

I have 17 on a couple of computers, but I can't use it in my setup.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Jay Bates also does a good job of explaining the functionality of Sketchup. I can't link to the video but I'm sure searching on his site you should be able to find the video(s).
I actually like Jay's teaching methods a little better than Matthias', and Matthias appears to have produced these videos before he mastered some time-saving tricks, but for the beginner, both sets of videos are excellent.

Jay Bates Sketchup Tutorials

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
My computer has a good video card. Version 17 works fine on my computer. It will not work through Windows Remote Desktop, which is a program built into some versions of Windows that allow me to log into my home computer from a remote location. It's similar to TeamViewer and AnyDesk, but it has some advantages over them for some applications.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Quite familiar with Remote Desktop. Does your home computer run version 17 when you are using it at home?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
My computer has a good video card. Version 17 works fine on my computer. It will not work through Windows Remote Desktop, which is a program built into some versions of Windows that allow me to log into my home computer from a remote location. It's similar to TeamViewer and AnyDesk, but it has some advantages over them for some applications.

It has to do with the requirement by SketchUp to access the graphics card. You could use SketchUp 2017 at home and work on your models using SketchUp Free elsewhere.

I'm glad to see you've all found sources for learning SketchUp. Looks like you don't need me. ;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS