Christmas gift ideas for the woodworker

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
Christmas season is upon us and I have very little problem finding gifts for all my friends and families but I often struggle when they ask me for a list of what I want. My family knows to stay away from the "gifts for dad" isle at Lowe's or Home Depot. They usually have bundles of moderate to bad tools. If I see a great tool on sale I will let them know. In the past I have received a lot of "tools" from well meaning loved ones that are not very good, but since your child gave it to you, you just can't toss it out.

A couple of years ago I started making a detail list of tools I would like with the link to the exact tool on the list. My wife and daughters had never heard of Lee Valley, or Wood Craft, or Rocklers and this led to me getting things I actually want and can use. My daughters laugh at some of the things like a GluBot but they understand that it must be important. Then when they do decide to help me in the
shop they see how well these things work.

Well, I am always looking for new ideas to place on my list and I figured maybe some of you were too. So post something, a tool or accessory you would like to get or have gotten in the past and it may help me and others add to our Christmas wish list.

To start the conversation here are a few gifts I have that I placed on the list and got for Christmas
Rob Cosman Marking Gauge
10P2 glue
3" Square
Rockler Silicone glue application kit

Just a few ideas that were nice to receive

ck1999

Chris
User
I like the idea of this thread my family claims to have the same issues with me. Couple things that I have asked for in the past was orbital sander, boxes of the Sandpaper for the orbital sander, dust deputy, I try to look for items that are less than $50. Also last year got a set of bared chisels.

I look forward to seeing what other people post

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I had planned to ask for some shaper bits for my new shaper. Or a dado blade for my table saw. But my daughter had slight mishap last week in the rain and drove her truck into the ditch. Minor damage and no injuries but because of age and mileage insurance co has totaled out the truck. So it forced my hand into buying myself a new truck so now I’m asking for truck accessories.
Floor mats
Window visors
Tool box for the bed (man they are expensive these days)

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Been making lists for the fam' for the last few years. I have champagne tastes. They have beer bottle budgets (or less). Nonetheless, here is some of the list for this year:
Cordless chain saw:p
Compression socks - shop has concrete floor:)
Bicycle jerseys - they don't collect wood shavings/dust and blow off real easy. Get one size larger than your other shirt size:)
Corn fiber industrial broom - old school house broom:)
Spraybrite paint shelter:)
Hyperkon 4' LED lights:)
Ceramic bandsaw guideso_O
Bandsaw blades - still getting burn marks :p

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
- Whatever batteries your tools use.
- Consumables.
- Amazon gift certificates.
- A goat.

My wife gets me a goat every year. They live in Africa or the Middle East. I've never actually seen them.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Well, I pretty much have every inexpensive woodworking tool or gadget I could ever want and I don't want my kids or grandkids spending the kind of money I do on the things I do want. Besides, I don't wait for Christmas to roll around before buying things. So, I basically told my whole family not to buy Christmas gifts for me many years ago.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Joe, Your plan makes sense.

I am personally at the stage of life that I really can’t use much more than I already have when it comes to tools. I still enjoy looking at both vintage tools as well as the latest new ones.

On another note, I’m curious why you prefer the Rob Cosman marking gauge over some other styles, like the LN Tite-Mark one or the various Lee Valley/Veritas ones?

8D5AA309-B736-4553-AFFB-802A83EFCE59.jpeg

cmboggs

Chris
User
Shop time.

My #1 gift is always shop time. No matter what my family thinks I need, I always ask to be able to spend more time in the shop. They are more than happy to join me there. But time in the shop is time in the shop.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
There's only one thing on my wish list - for my daughters and their families to come down from NY and visit us during the holidays. Looks like I'm getting what I want again this year. Yay!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
In the past I've gotten a socket set from HD around $100, a sharpening wheel $50 etc. I've been buying tools for many years. I get the woodcraft sales flyers, but when I give them a look there's nothing I need or don't already have. I did go to the Klingspore Extravaganza this year and fell in love with the Arbortech ball gouge. It may just turn up Christmas morning.

Pop :D

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
Joe, Your plan makes sense.

I am personally at the stage of life that I really can’t use much more than I already have when it comes to tools. I still enjoy looking at both vintage tools as well as the latest new ones.

On another note, I’m curious why you prefer the Rob Cosman marking gauge over some other styles, like the LN Tite-Mark one or the various Lee Valley/Veritas ones?

View attachment 190358
I really think that all the high quality gauges are relatively equal. I chose the Rob Cosman mainly because of 2 reasons; I have learned a lot watching his videos so in some small way this is a payback, a thank you. The second reason is I really like what he is doing for Veterans through his Purple Heart program so if this supports him a little then I am happy to pay the extra.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
- A goat.

My wife gets me a goat every year. They live in Africa or the Middle East. I've never actually seen them.

Friend of mine bought a whole heard of Cashmere goats for a remote village somewhere in Russia or Ukraine.
He flies there every 2-3 years on business. Sometimes he brings home a bundle of wool, interest on his investment from the herders.
He helped to make them self sustaining with that "investment". He doesn't expect anything from them but they insist, they are so happy and grateful for his generosity.

Eric G

Eric
Senior User
A detailed list with exact links is the way to go.
Here's a few things that have made their way to my list this year:

- LED Magnifier Lamps (an LED Lamp on an adjustable arm with a magnifying glass. I plan on upgrading my shop with two of these, one for my sharpening station and one for the bench when I do carving/joinery).
- Dust Deputy
- Refills for consumables (hide glue, titebond, sandpaper, etc)
- A new work apron

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
All I ask for is time in the shop to do things. At this time I have what I need and or want. Now that could change over time but that's life, constant change, when that happens then I may add to a wish list for my family to ignore.:cool:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
On the days I don't hurt I try to make something, then I need to recover for a few days.

A shop helper would be a Godsend at this point in my life.

As for tools I have more than I need and most all I want.
I don't have room for larger and could not handle lumber that won't fit in my little shop.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was thinking of asking for the ISO tunes - does anyone have them / use them? (A little higher than the $50, but if they are no good, they are no good at $50 or $100!)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I was thinking of asking for the ISO tunes - does anyone have them / use them? (A little higher than the $50, but if they are no good, they are no good at $50 or $100!)
I have a set of those and haven't mastered getting the "ear straps" positioned so they don't fall off my ears! Have found that they don't seem to block much more external sound than plain old wired Apple ear buds. Maybe just me, but wish sometimes that I would have kept my $60 in my pocket.

Just my own impressions....

Wayne

DavidK

New User
David
I have a pair of ISO Tunes PRO earbuds that don't fit me. They like to fall out and/or hurt my ears. I have other earbuds that I wear for hours at a time without any issue.

I am planning to return the ISO Tunes since they don't work for me.

My advice would be to try them for an extended period of time before shelling out for them.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
I too have provided detailed lists for quite awhile now. It works pretty well and I keep it up to date for birthday, father's day, etc. It has a good mix of inexpensive and big ticket items. Things on the top of the list this year include CDs, books (including some Chris Schwarz stuff), and you can never have too many clamps.

One year, we held our gift opening event at my mom's in Sampson Cty. As we made our way through the day, I was kinda on the short end of the stick. I did get the very last one though. My daughter created a First Class ticket from the couch to the garage. Everyone had pooled their funds and bought the drill press on my list, but it was too big and heavy to wrap and put under the tree. I still have the ticket in my shop. That gift literally brought tears to my eyes.

JohnW

New User
John
A few years ago I made a list and on it was a nice set of butt chisels. My family did not know what they were and my wife thought I had just made it up. But my daughter bought them for me. She couldn't resist, and the topic still brings some humor into our Holiday discussions.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS