How to Remove a stuck faceplate? EDIT - Accomplished

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have a 3 or 4" Jet (EDIT - brand is Easy Wood Tools, not Jet - end EDIT)) faceplate on my Nova 3000 16" lathe. I have turned a 14 or so inch platter and now want to remove it. Guessing it is Al, but not certain. I like(d) it so far, as it is thicker and less prone to flexing than my 6" Nova faceplate. Advantage of the Nova faceplate is the hex faceted portion around the spindle threaded area - which makes gripping with a tool much easier; this Jet version (correction - Easy Wood Tools) has a completely round 'barrel.' Never had this issue with other faceplate, or my Nova chuck. Is it because I betrayed Nova and bought another brand? ;):(:mad:

Anyways - recommendations for how to break the locked-on faceplate free?

EDIT - accomplished - see details belows

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
First you must beg forgiveness from the Nova gods. then get out the channel locks. vise grips if you must. otherwise I got nuthin. If and when you get it off and it's usable maybe file some flats on it so you can use a wrench next time?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Do you have reverse on that lathe?

Can you attach a 1x2 stick to the faceplate that will touch against the bed of the lathe?

Attach the stick, bump the lathe motor in reverse so the stick unscrews the faceplate.

Just be careful to bump the switch, don't hold it full on. the faceplate may go flying across the room.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Do you have reverse on that lathe?

Can you attach a 1x2 stick to the faceplate that will touch against the bed of the lathe?

Attach the stick, bump the lathe motor in reverse so the stick unscrews the faceplate.

Just be careful to bump the switch, don't hold it full on. the faceplate may go flying across the room.
I like Mike's idea better. ;)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When you need to use it again be sure to put a nylon washer on the screw first so the faceplate doesn't bind on the threads so much.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Just to add to Mike's suggestion. same stick but use it as a wrench. 3' of leverage just might help. assuming the head stock has a lock function.

EXKid

New User
Mark
If you can’t lock the headstock, is there a pin on an idler? Or perhaps on the motor?

Is there a hole you can run a rod through to tap the plate with a third hand while you’re wrenching on it?

Otherwise get some Suede leather or rubber or something to grip the shaft with vice grips. Or if you can fit a pipe wrench on it.
Or maybe notch out a length of scrap and wedge a piece with leather or rubber facing the shaft. Tap the wedge while applying torque on the plate.

what don’t I know about a Nova lathe that makes their faceplates easy to remove, vs someone elses?

is there an outboard hand wheel arrangement that you can use if you put a wrench on the hex of the plate and pin the wrench to the bed?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
yep. I am not familiar with the nova line. the 2 lathes I've owned had a lock for the headstock.

Yes a lock on the headstock helps - but I still need to generate enough torque on the plate to be able to free it from the 'frozen on' position

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Yes a lock on the headstock helps - but I still need to generate enough torque on the plate to be able to free it from the 'frozen on' position
Assuming that you have holes in the face plate can you put 2 bolts through with a nut on both sides of the plate leaving enough bolt sticking out to put a lever PM sent

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
It appears in the manual that there is a headstock lock. After locking the headstock i would use a ~2' piece of wood and attach it to the faceplate then use it as a lever as mentioned by Mike.
1574263601064.png

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
don't use the index pin it's not up to that kind of torque. The headstock lockpin & operating bar are Nova's answer to your problem. Tighten the headstock lockpin (DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN) then fit a piece of rubber or like material over the faceplate and lay into it with a large channel locks. After you get the dang thing off keel before the Nova Gods and swear to never again use something labeled Jet on their wonderful machine. How do you like your Nova? I'm just bringing on line my new Nova Saturn. With the DVR motor it is a fantastic machine.

Pop :cool:

awldune

Sam
User
don't use the index pin it's not up to that kind of torque. The headstock lockpin & operating bar are Nova's answer to your problem.

I'm confused about this. The headstock lockpin is supposed to prevent the headstock from pivoting. It is not related to the spindle. Unless it somehow does both?

I have a Nova 1644 and I have always used the index pin when removing my chuck.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
You might have luck with a strap wrench. It will fit around the face plate and give some leverage. If you cannot lock the spindle, then put a second strap wrench on the spindle to hold it in place.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Mine was stuck pulled the top off so I could reach a part inside and block off. In my case I only needed a strap wrench. Then as one of the others pointed out, I screwed a pie ce of 2x2 on the face plate and then used a 3lb deadblow hammer

One3 hard quick rap ..... it was loose

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
The headstock lockpin is supposed to prevent the headstock from pivoting. It is not related to the spindle. Unless it somehow does both?
I have a Nova 1644 and I have always used the index pin when removing my chuck.
Agreed, the head stock lock pin locks the pivoting head-stock into position, and does not the spindle.
This is the Nova 3000 (or 2000?) or whatever model it is predecessor lathe to the 1644 as far as I know.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS