I Don't Spend Enough Time in the Shop

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Last night finished cutting out TFT cars for 2019. 800+ this year. Over the years, I have cut out over 10,000. Today decided to empty dust collector before starting on sanding and drilling of holes for window opening. Imagine my surprise when I emptied DC bin. On top was dust from band saw, and next layer was shavings from where I drilled window holes for cars LAST YEAR. This meant that basically I haven't spent any meaningful time in the shop in over a year. Something has got to change!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know what you mean - I retire next month and after the holidays - my shop time begins full time (or as much as I can get away with in regards to SWMBO).

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know what you mean - I retire next month and after the holidays - my shop time begins full time (or as much as I can get away with in regards to SWMBO).
Little do you know.... Many have tried and failed. It may work for a short time until your family finds out and you get the "hey honey now that you have time" or the "hey dad" or the "hey grandpa". They of course when your neighbors and friends find out and you get the "hey neighbor can you" or the "hey friend can you". Add to that your church and community organizations..... Listen to the voice of experience.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Little do you know.... Many have tried and failed. It may work for a short time until your family finds out and you get the "hey honey now that you have time" or the "hey dad" or the "hey grandpa". They of course when your neighbors and friends find out and you get the "hey neighbor can you" or the "hey friend can you". Add to that your church and community organizations..... Listen to the voice of experience.

This ^^^

Although most of the requests I get are for wooden items. Hey, shop time is shop time, don't care what I am building.

john.krysa

New User
John
I retired from regular work 5 years ago, and that life change didn't result in the level of hours per week in my shop that I intended either. Many of the comments above give you some good sense advice about what to expect and how to view things. Like Scott M said, "shop time is shop time" and it really doesn't matter if its your project or someone else's. But also be prepared for your wife's expectations that she'll have daily time with you--whether its breaking at a set time for lunch or some quiet time with her before or after dinner. Figure out that unspoken requirement quickly and your life will be better as well as your uninterrupted shop time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS