How do I square this.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Doing a dry fit here and am not sure how to square this. I've seen alot of videos on how to check for square with a diagonal measure but not what to do if it's out of square. There will be a back which is not yet cut so I will have access to just one side. I'm assuming angle the clamps in some way? The bottom is square but the top is not. This is a non shop piece or it would be close enough, lol. Thanks.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I have a large assembly table with a piece of sacrificial MDF as a top. When I have done cases like this. I joint some 2X4s, so that I know they are perfectly straight. I then start by screwing down two of the 2x4s to the table at a perfect 90° angle to each other. I then lay the case on its back on the table (before gluing). I push the case up against the 2X4s to get it square and then screw down two other 2x4s which hold the case square. I set the 2x4s so that there is a little bit of a slip fit. I then pull out the case, glue it up and set it into the 2X4s to hold it square. I keep shims handy, in case my fit was a little loose, this way I can force the case to one side or the other.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
But you can bring a box into square by unequal or 'nonparallel" clamping. Best way I can describe it is to move one side of the clamp up on the long side (or vise versa?). Doesn't take much.

For example, if the left top is 95° (IOW leaning to the right) you can pull it square by dropping the left side of the clamp a little lower (or the right side a little higher) and as you add some pressure it will pull back into square. ( I think this is right).

Play around with it, you'll figure it out.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If the bottom is square and the top is not then the top and bottom boards are not the same length.
If all opposing pieces are the same size, top/bottom is same and two ends are the same, then if any one corner is square they all have to be square.

Check the length of all your boards and adjust to fit.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
It looks like you've got the two bottom corners locked in at 90 with the clamps (assuming the corner clamps are true 90). If the top corners aren't square I suspect either the side pieces have some bow to them or the top piece isn't precisely the same length as the bottom piece, or both. If you can see bowing in the sides you might be able to straighten it out with the face frame or attaching some inside bracing towards the back. If the top is not exactly the same length as the bottom, it needs to be because you'll never square up a trapezoid.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Thanks, The bottom has a bow to it which is why I have that case of ammo sitting there. Might have to put another one on but a side note, they make an awesome weight, lol. They are definitely the same length when flat. I can push the top with my hands and get the top and bottom square but wasn't sure how to keep that pressure with clamps. I'll try non parallel clamping, hope to find some info.videos on it. Hoping to avoid building a 2x4 frame to keep it square.

I think I introduced the bow when using a caul to attach the edge banding. Took alot of clamping pressure to close the caul, much more than was needed.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
diagonal across the top or the front?

And what does this mean? tack cross corner pcs to hold until glue dries

long pipe clamp across diagonal corners, which ever is needed, to push it square, tack cross corner pcs to hold until glue dries.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
How far off are the two diagonal measurements? Make sure you are measuring to the same side of the tape and the tab end of the tape is anchored in the same place. Measure all the way to the corner, and make sure the tape is flat to the surface (i.e, make sure it isn't running over a clamp, etc.).

Also check your clamping squares against a known good square, and make sure they are all the way into the corner with no debris under them.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
With casework using ply we pay attention to making sure the dimensions are accurate and the cuts are square.

During assembly as per your picture we pay no attention to trying to square the case, it does not matter if it is out of square, just make sure your top and bottom placement measurements of the partition are equal. Ply is never 100% true and once you remove those squares with the clamps the case will go where it wants to. Don't worry about it, as once you attach a square back everything will be pulled square to follow the back.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A diagonal strip holds the carcass square during glue up. It looks like you have the corner blocks already, but shouldn't they be diagonal to each other?

Zach.jpg

Attachments

• Zach.jpg
    Zach.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 100

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS