Bradford pear

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Having a bradford pear tree taken down tomorrow. Is it worth having them cut some bowl blanks? Or anyone want to make slabs.

Its approx 20" diameter. Just need to decide tonight so i can leave instructions for them tomorrow

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Scott
Bradford pear turns like butter when wet, and like concrete when dry. Natural edge bowls have worked well for me (cut when wet) with relatively thin smooth bark that stayed put quite well.
Note that the characteristic of the tree (splits easily at branch junctions) means that the "crotch" pieces do not hold together well - DAMHIKT!

20" D should allow for reasonably sizable blanks.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I tend to disagree about the concrete statement. I have a bunch of BP from a tree that came down in a coworkers yard. I've turned a bunch of it and it turns nice for me. It's been dried in my garage for about 2 years now. I'd love some of the larger pieces! Most of mine are smaller as it was a smaller tree. Maybe that's the difference? The older tree gets tougher? maybe??

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Dang. I had three big ones cut down several years ago. The trees split so easily in storms I just had everything hauled away. Thought it was junk.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I will see what the guys are willing to do. I'll try to get some decent chunks. If theyll do it Ill let you all know

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I found BP pretty dull stuff..the wood does not have much interesting color. I do not recall it being hard to turn. It would have wide growth rings being a fast-growing (and dying) tree.

My favorite 'yard tree' to turn is dogwood. Creamy color, smells nice and dries hard.

-Mark

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
In General the older the tree the more consolidated the rings ......... so yeah the wood does become more dense, but what I have found personally in trees different areas of the tree will be denser and harder than others.

Just an observation from cutting various types of trees on my parents ranch.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
What Mark said about being dull stuff can be true also, but what I've done with dull pieces when still on the lathe, is use something like Hampshire Sheen to polish the piece to a very high luster so that it's got a high gloss finish. That makes the dull grain patter really pop with the high gloss! I really enjoy working with Bradford Pear.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Bradford pear turns like butter when wet, and like concrete when dry.

Let me clarify my "turns like concrete when dry" statement. First off I am not a super experienced turner, but I have turned a few things (advanced beginner to somewhat experienced).

Several years back I had rough-turned several pieces of BP, then allowed those rough bowls to dry (many months). I was intending to finish turn them.
However I have not left enough wall thickness in the rough turning to be able to accommodate the drying and warping that took the bowls 'out of round' when they dried. Some of the tenons that I left shrunk enough that portions of the tenons were smaller than my chuck jaws could grab. The few dried rough turned blanks that I managed to get back on to the lathe were difficult (for ME) to turn. Other more talented and experienced turners would likely have been far more successful. The only pieces that 'worked' were ones I 'finish turned' as green/wet wood, and then allowed them to dry and warp. Again others' experience may differ.

Agreed that the wood itself (from the tree I used) is rather bland; I did not try to allow spalting, but those spalted pieces that Smallboat posted above are lovely.

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Be sure to leave the pieces cut longer than the diameter of the tree. For a 20" diameter, try to have the piece cut be at least 24" or 30" long. Bradford pear tends to split as it dries. The time I turned some it was easy to turn and ended up with a rich color, but not much figure.

Roy G

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
tree is down. There is still different sized logs on the ground while they cut it up. If you want to come grab some now, I am at 5144 Huntcliff Trail, WS. I will be having them cut the main stump into bowls blanks shortly

Last edited:

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I have full rounds. let me know if you want me to save them before they haul away. I have some pics I am trying to load.

Here is just one of the halves

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
yep! that was your "firewood" Chris.

I gave it to a friend who calls it the "puzzle bowl"

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Still a few pieces outside waiting for someone to grab. If no one comes I will throw them in the garage. I just finished sealing the ends with latex paint - first layer

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS