Labeling Gas Cans

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have multiple gas cans, so knowing what is in them, and how old it is gets to be very important. For tags, I cut some from a bleach bottle, and zip tie it to the handle on the gas can. When I fill can up, using a Sharpie, I write the date and if it has ethanol in the gas. As an example, today filled a can, labeled it 07-22-19 A. The "A" tells me it's fuel with alcohol in it, which is only used in generators. Be sure and turn tag so written on side faces down away from the sunlight. I always add Staron to gas when filling cans. If it's 2 cycle mix, along with the date, I write the oil to fuel ratio on tag.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Im sorry, but this impacts my woodworking how?
No real need to get snarky. The post is on 'home improvement' and we can all use hints and tricks to make our life better. Bruce is one of the best at offering useful hints and I thank him for them.

George

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Maybe Bruce's thread should have been in Off Topic forum which usually has nothing to do with woodworking. Chris may be thinking that Home Improvement is strictly woodworking related, but not necessarily.

I'm okay with either Forum. No harm done in either.

Reactions: cpw

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Maybe Bruce's thread should have been in Off Topic forum which usually has nothing to do with woodworking. Chris may be thinking that Home Improvement is strictly woodworking related, but not necessarily.

I'm okay with either Forum. No harm done in either.
Yes, and this new layout doesnt really seem to lend itself to showing what comes from where, yes its there, if you look more closely, but I come here for woodworking related topics, not home improvement/garage related topics.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thanks for the tip Bruce, like you I have more gasoline eaters than I can count. Some are 2 cycle and some 4, getting the wrong mixture in an engine can cause frustration, too much physical effort, and expense.
One of the great things about NCWW is family--we're one huge family. I love the fact we can share things about anything, to edify and educate us in other areas of our daily lives. When I read Bruce's post, the first thought I had was about my chain saw fuel, which so many of us have. The chainsaw is the first piece of equipment used in the woodworking process. So the post relates strongly to woodworking. If a post isn't in my interest I simply ignore it and read on.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
This reminds me that I need to check one of my gas cans. I have at least 5. But 3 are 5 gallon containers (2 plastic, one steel) used to carry gas for the boat. They are never stored full. They never have mixed gas in them. Lately I have been using the pontoon which is 4 cycle and only gets pure gas, no ethanol. But I also have a gas can I used for my 4 cycle mower I gave away when I got the battery powered one. That may have some gas in it that needs to be used up. There is also a smaller container with mixed fuel. I used to use that in a weed whacker but I use a battery powered one of those now too. In theory it could go in the chain saw but I haven't used that in years. The older boat is 2 cycle and is my repository of mixed gas if I need more.

So I don't think I need to label my cans but I need to think about emptying at least one of them. Probably the mixed gas one too. I keep all the containers in my shed. I like keeping them out of the house.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, and this new layout doesnt really seem to lend itself to showing what comes from where, yes its there, if you look more closely, but I come here for woodworking related topics, not home improvement/garage related topics.
Chris,
The new layout IS different so if you look at the top of the post (if you open it) this is where the forum "Comes from":

If you are looking at the "Home" or "What's New" list of posts you will see the forum at the bottom of the post:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris,
The new layout IS different so if you look at the top of the post (if you open it) this is where the forum "Comes from":
View attachment 187646

If you are looking at the "Home" or "What's New" list of posts you will see the forum at the bottom of the post:
View attachment 187647
hank.PNG

Like I said, yes its there but not so apparent and to me home improvement in a WOODWORKING site would involve, I dont know... maybe architectural millwork for instance. but I digress.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Thanks for the tip, Bruce. Good one. Why only generators? I currently have two small generators, both only run decently when about 3/4 choked which I thought was due to the alcohol laced fuel I have used in the past.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thanks for the tip, Bruce. Good one. Why only generators? I currently have two small generators, both only run decently when about 3/4 choked which I thought was due to the alcohol laced fuel I have used in the past.
Tom , stop by either Home Depot, or Walmart and buy a bottle of "Mechanic in a Bottle." Don't get the ethanol shield, but Mechanic in a Bottle. Disconnect fuel line from tank, and figure how to feed a mixture if MIB & gasoline into carburetor. Then let it sit over night. Next day reconnect fuel line to tank, and add some MIB to fuel in tank. Crank and let generator run for aboutt 30 minutes. If this doesn't solve problems, then you are going to have to remove fuel bowl, drain it and clean jet.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS